PDA

View Full Version : Preloaded Coilover

Rosenbluth
05-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Can anyone tell me if it is a big deal to preload a coilover sping. On my LR and RF, I have to have the nut all the way down against the spring to get the numbers I want. Also, that would mean there is no "dangle" in the spring. Does this change the rate of the spring, or just do nothing?

I think I could take some turns out of the LF and RR to get more RF and LR, and then take turns out of those, if ride heights will work out, but I was just curious if that may make a difference. Thanks

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Can anyone tell me if it is a big deal to preload a coilover sping. On my LR and RF, I have to have the nut all the way down against the spring to get the numbers I want. Also, that would mean there is no "dangle" in the spring. Does this change the rate of the spring, or just do nothing?

I think I could take some turns out of the LF and RR to get more RF and LR, and then take turns out of those, if ride heights will work out, but I was just curious if that may make a difference. Thanks

As long as the preload is less than the weight applied by the chassis, it does not have an impact on performance. Let's say you have a 200# spring on the lr. You have it preloaded 1".

If that corner of the car puts 200# on it, the spring will not budge. If that corner puts 400# on it, it will compress an additional 1". If that corner of the car puts 600# on it, it will compress an additional 2" from what you have.

I'm sure your preload is much less than 1" and of no consequence.

gadirtracer
05-07-2010, 03:19 PM

This is how you adjust bite w/o changing the ride heights.