PDA

View Full Version : 351w Hei/lockout/starter?

prostockdriver1
05-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi all..

I have a 351 Windsor, utilizing a Proform HEI distributor. I have heard from many people to just lock out the advance to prevent any other issues.

I am currently using a Ford C4 transmission. I have a flywheel with I believe its 163 tooth flywheel. I have the number written down in the garage and I will find it if needed, but what I am looking for, it has a small FORD type oval in it, with the letters AOD in it.

I am wondering if it is mandatory to use a hi-torque mini starter when you lock out the advance on your distributor, and if it is, how does one go about using it?

If anyone has any inforamtion on a starter, please let me know. I have seen the 157 tooth, manual trans mini starters go for 60-85.00 on eBay.

Thank you.

Hillbilly Deluxe
05-08-2010, 09:47 AM
The killer is - that they make everything for the Ford that they make for the Chevrolet, but that the Chevrolet is so common that you can buy the parts cheaper then for the Ford.

Yes I would lock out the Distributor and I would use a high torque starter, but I would avoid Ebay due to the fact that most people only sells something after it is no good anymore and the only things you are going to get on ebay is JUNK!

If you want a starter, go to a catalog store and buy a brand new starter.
In the long run it will be cheaper for you to buy a brand new starter than to buy a used starter, have problems with it, have to put money into it and end up with more money into the used starter then into a brand new one.

The same holds true with the flywheel. In this day of internet, you can find almost anything you are looking for off a web site that will sell you a brand new one for about the same price as used.

dirty white boy
05-09-2010, 03:02 PM
The killer is - that they make everything for the Ford that they make for the Chevrolet, but that the Chevrolet is so common that you can buy the parts cheaper then for the Ford.

Yes I would lock out the Distributor and I would use a high torque starter, but I would avoid Ebay due to the fact that most people only sells something after it is no good anymore and the only things you are going to get on ebay is JUNK!

If you want a starter, go to a catalog store and buy a brand new starter.
In the long run it will be cheaper for you to buy a brand new starter than to buy a used starter, have problems with it, have to put money into it and end up with more money into the used starter then into a brand new one.

The same holds true with the flywheel. In this day of internet, you can find almost anything you are looking for off a web site that will sell you a brand new one for about the same price as used.all very true