PDA

View Full Version : What type of grinding wheels do you use for tires and what do you use to clean them

renegade14
05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
What type of grinding wheel do you use on a 4 1/2 grinder for street tires (firestone indy 500). Also what is the best cleaner to help clean them week to week. (purple power or simple green) Also i have some firestones that have been out in the weather for about a month what would bring these tires back to a usable condition. Not really wanting a prep just something to soften them back up a little from where they have been out in the weather.

Thanks
Adam

fast_crew
05-09-2010, 10:56 AM
We wash car and tires with a diluted solution of Tide & water with a hand held pump up garden sprayer, pressure wash clean and then scuff tires with a 7" variable speed buffer/sander (cheapy from H/F) with IIRC 80 grit paper. You can use 36,40 or 60 grit for tires that are in rough shape.

bushracing67
05-09-2010, 09:22 PM
try wd40 and a regular old grinding wheel, move quick and try to keep the smoke to a minimum, flap type discs work well too about an 80 grit

Egoracing
05-10-2010, 07:02 AM
If it is smoking you are to hot and putting the tire through heat cycles and causing hard spots.
NEVER clean your tires with a degrease! It removes oils and will harden the rubber.
Use Simple Green to clean them you will swear it softens them but it only opens up the rubber. To grind them get a speed controllable 6 inch buffer and a 24-32 grit sanding pad. Grind the rear tires so the little lines are across the tire and the fronts so the lines are around the tire.

ugot86d
05-10-2010, 10:15 AM
what do you all use to help soften them up????????? i have several spares that have been found in junk yards or used tire stores, and they are hard as all get out. i am not wanting to cheat up my tires just get them to punch a 58 to 60 like the newer ones i have.

i have been told to use the blue (quick shift ) trans fluid some acetone and wd40 and wrap them in cellophane wrap (clear wrenolds plastic kind). will this help? i run the tiger paw and firestone indy 500 street tires against the hoosier g60 and run top 3 every week.

like i said i want to be able to use them if i have to

thanks butch

stock car driver
05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Buy some new tires if they are hard and weather checked..

balljoint_
05-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Use a cupped wire wheel attachment. be fast and move around quickly and you wont smoke them at all.

Then quickly hit them with some 60 grit (by hand) to loosen the debris. After that blow the tire off and spray it down with simple green. let it soak for 5 minutes and wipe off. If needed it is now ready to 'soak'. (If you dont soak spray down with wd40 to prevent drying out rubber.) Wear chemical gloves in a well ventilated area. That stuff will eat thru a plastic cup in 15 seconds.

Takes 2-3 hrs to do a set.

But this only really works to bring GOOD used tires back to something decent. Like maybe a tire from last season that has been sitting in a heated garage out of the light.

stock car driver
05-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Use a cupped wire wheel attachment. be fast and move around quickly and you wont smoke them at all.

Then quickly hit them with some 60 grit (by hand) to loosen the debris. After that blow the tire off and spray it down with simple green. let it soak for 5 minutes and wipe off. If needed it is now ready to 'soak'. (If you dont soak spray down with wd40 to prevent drying out rubber.) Wear chemical gloves in a well ventilated area. That stuff will eat thru a plastic cup in 15 seconds.

Takes 2-3 hrs to do a set.

But this only really works to bring GOOD used tires back to something decent. Like maybe a tire from last season that has been sitting in a heated garage out of the light.

Thats fricken nuts.

BSauder89
05-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Good ole' farm town water and a pressure washer works for us :)
Oh and a little common upkeep with where you store your tires and the car always helps too.

stock car driver
05-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Good ole' farm town water and a pressure washer works for us :)
Oh and a little common upkeep with where you store your tires and the car always helps too.

Ditto, if I even touch them.

ugot86d
05-11-2010, 11:09 AM
dont get me wrong my race tires and good spares get cleaned with a lil soap and water and stored in the shop off the floor they get sprayed with some armorall after cleaning (always have ) other than that my GOOD tires do not get touched. other than air and stagger gauge and tape

i was just wondering about the hard tires you find here and there or get from other racers used that are about to the point of being hard enough that you wanna send them to the recycle plant. i have an old dry rotted tire off of an old trailor spare i am gonna try some stuff on to see what may help other than buying new tires lol

balljoint_
05-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Thats fricken nuts.

Yes, maybe. But on a pavement flat track running AR g60s......IT WORKS :)

My streetstocks track record (running a roch carb) is .4 behind the IMCA mod track record.......because they cannot grip.

Hell, I used to use a tire truer and had "towing tires" for 4+ hr trips. The locals thought that was nuts too....at first. Then they just complained how big my motor was.

Will a pressure washer open the pores?

stock car driver
05-13-2010, 05:45 PM
So you race at Hawkey Downs? Whats your name?