PDA

View Full Version : Changing an axle tube..........

FF21
05-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Whats the best way to change a axle tube in a franklin quick change.Thanks for any input.Rick

In Too Deep
05-09-2010, 07:18 PM
I would take and stop up the tube and fill it full of ice then take a torch and heat the bell up and put it back together the same way do not heat the bell up to much.

sobe92
05-09-2010, 07:21 PM
well depending on what you have available. its easily a 2 person job. you have to heat the side bell and then press out the old tube. have the new tube sitting in a cooler full of ice. lay the side bell on the floor make sure its still heated then drop the new tube in.

not a job for the in experienced so you might want to find someone who has done this before. you need to make sure if you have a sight plug on your side bell that you take it out (you will melt the o ring seal) also when you press it out that you have enough stroke and that you do not mess the bell up in the process.

xray
05-09-2010, 07:30 PM
also i dont know on frankland rears but on winters when heating the bell you have to support the bell by the inner race otherwise it will fall out when you get it hot enough to drop the tube in.......:eek:

about 250* is good and if you can slide it in the ol ladys oven when shes not looking it works the best then you dont overheat and crack one spot, just get ready to 'splain the burnt 90wt smell in the kitchen...:eek: :eek:

mudslinger47
05-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Went to an old quick change repair guy outside of Ventura Ca some years back, he had an oven in his shop, worked great. The race dropping out was his signal the thing was ready. Ice cold tube and "thunk" your done!! Welders gloves were a really good idea. I have changed many tubes over the years, heat and ice work well. Mag bells seem to be a little tougher, I have never done them, but I watched them being done once and it was a bitch.

Duane

Egoracing
05-10-2010, 06:51 AM
I've done mag bells with a heat gun and a frozen tube. MAKE SURE you put the bell on a level surface and get the tube straight up and down the instant it goes in!!!! Then just drill and tap the new holes and bolt it up!