PDA

View Full Version : How to Drive a Late Model?

catgo22
05-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Anybody got a couple of driving tips to help step up... graduate into the top 10? This is making me crazy... Had an older car with a 600hp engine and 10-12th place finishes at our local 1/4 mile track were pretty common. Now have newer car, better shocks and better engine. Finishes are no better. Car drives OK, not ill handling. Just seems like I'm on 40s and everybody else is on 20s - that's not it but that's what it feels like. Must be doing something really wrong. Driving school next.

TEAM1STAR
05-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I have found that there are "certian" people you can trust in helping you go fast! I run a late model at and I dont have the TOP NOTCH stuff, but I work hard on my stuff and do the simple things to make the race car work. I have found if you keep it simple you'll survive! I run in the top 10 just about every week, and I assure you It takes alot of work to do it but it will happen if you keep going at it! Good Luck!!!!

big88fan
05-13-2010, 09:56 PM
on the small tracks im in the same boat with you and we have top notch stuff I like the high banked 3/8 or bigger I really prefer the 1/2 tracks where you can just leave the go pedal down and out hp'em on the little bull rings its a finess that I havent learned yet and at this rate might not ever get a handle on it

hardracer32
06-09-2010, 12:22 PM
the first thing u need to do is take your car to a reputable set-up guy and let him go over it from bumper to bumper. i'm not opposed to a driving school but if your car is not exactly right, the driving school isn't going to do much for you. but i do highly recommend the ray cook and dale mcdowell school. i attended it and didn't realize how much i was doing wrong on adjusting my car. the class room portion of the school is going to be much more beneficial than the track part if you already have seat time.

you definitely need to get your car looked at by someone who knows what is going on. don't know where u live but if you are close to n.c. ray would be a good place to start if he has time. i don't know if he is still doing that stuff with his current driving situation on the lucas tour, but i took my car to him and it made a world of difference in my competitiveness. and the funny thing is, that there wasn't anything really big wrong with the car, it was all little things that i just didn't know better. j-bar, a little too short, 1 4-link bar in the wrong hole on the birdcage, 1 shock change, and moved a little lead. all that stuff has to be just right or you'll just be spinning your wheels. literally and figuratively. hope this helps. by the way, i can give you a few pointers if you wanna give me a call.

nathan

powerslide
06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
How to drive a Late Model

Go fast turn left.

diplomunity
06-14-2010, 02:57 PM
powerslide forgot the part about turning back right and using the throttle to point the car...but yeah go fat turn left then back right and gas it