PDA

View Full Version : Bert Maintenance Question

BTDT
05-13-2010, 06:37 PM
i WAS DOING MY WEEKLY AND IT APPEARS I HAVE A SMALL PIECE OF RUBBER OR GASKET TYPE STUFF BACKING OUT OF THE COUPLER ONTO THE SPLINES.
NO OIL OR FLUID LEAKING NOR IS THERE ANY BINDING. DO I NEED TO ADDRESS THIS ASAP OR CAN I WAIT AWHILE.

THANKS

jic93
05-13-2010, 07:29 PM
again need to specify a little more detail ... which coupler ? where it splines into the crank? if so shouldnt be anything rubbery there at all . also is it a ballspline?

BTDT
05-13-2010, 07:39 PM
It Is A Ball Spline. The Area I Am Talking About Is The Sliding Spline Area On The Rear Of The Transmission. There Appears To Be A Cover Or Coupler Attached To The Transmission That The Splines Come Out Of. That Is Where This Material Is Coming Out Of.

Thanks

jic93
05-13-2010, 07:46 PM
i dont run the ball spline but if it was mine i would be having it checked out ... how many nights on trans ? i do know there is a scedule for lubing the ball bearings ... on bert's website there is a procedure for maintaining the ballspline tailshaft(it is in the back half of the catalog)

shotgunracing
05-13-2010, 08:28 PM
I rebuild bert trans. sounds like u have a seal comming apart. should be ok untill u start loosing fluid. keep your eye on it.let me know if it gets worse i can fix.

WheelchairWarrior
05-13-2010, 09:29 PM
We had the same thing happen last year. Its the shaft wiper for your ball spline. Should be yellow in color? Ours came all the way out and rode on the ball spline shaft at the end last season. We ran the last 5 weeks like that. It did start to develope a small vibration, as the ball spline area loosend up quite a bit. If you are able to, you should pull the tail section off and put it back on the inside....

JET1130
05-14-2010, 03:07 AM
They Have A Rear Ball Spline Seal Kit That Comes With New Balls,yellow Hard Rubber Seal Retaining Ring Or Wear Bushing & A Pack Of Grease. Takes Less Than 30 Minute's To Do. Cost's About $50. Bert Part # Is Ber 3bsoknew In The Performance Bodies Catalog. Yellow Rubber Usually Smashes Out If Drive Line Is Bottoming. I Have Also Had The Allen Bolts Shear Of The Heads. There Is No Fluid At The Back Of The Ball Spline. Needs The Splines & Balls Cleaned And Lubed Every Race.

jedclampit
05-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Your probably out of grease, and you need to service it long before you get to this state. This link may help ......http://www.cratemotordrivetrain.com/user/Ball_Spline_video.wmv