PDA

View Full Version : Camaro vs. Chrysler Leafs

Nate Stevens
05-23-2010, 06:30 PM
I am in the planning stages of building a street stock, and this the first time I've ever ventured into leaf springs. What I am planning on building is a 1970 Mustang with a Fastboy setup. Right now, I am just working from frame diagrams and whatever dimension I can find online to check the feasibility of my plans. For the life of me I cannot find the difference between the Camaro and Chrysler leaf springs. I assume they are just dimensional differences, but I cannot find them. The rules I am going by are pretty vague about what I can and cannot do with leafs. They do say I can use Camaro or Chrysler leafs. The tech inspector says that I can have multiple forward mounting holes, up and down but not forward and back. He also said that I can have any shackles as long as they mount in the same location on the left and the right. The wheelbase must be stock +/- 1". Am I going to have to have custom springs made (more than just the Fastboy mods)?

Is there a website that lists stock dimensions for springs? I'm building this car from scratch, using rust repair panels, and I don't have a good reference for spring dimensions.

82Motorsports
05-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Depends on the type of spring (mono or stacked) and the brand differs just slightly. But here's the basics I found,

Chevy = 54" overall length, 24-25" from center bolt to front eye

Chrysler= 53-53-7/8" overall length, 19 1/2 or 20 1/2" from center bolt to front eye

Also the 2 generally use different size bolts thru the eye

Nate Stevens
05-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Thank you very much. That will help a lot.

Tom Slick
05-26-2010, 10:16 PM
www.landrumspring.com

nova21j
06-04-2010, 07:18 AM
IMO run the Chyslers. They seem to last longer and have better bite.