PDA

View Full Version : Ford Cast Iron 2 Barrel Intake

Nate Stevens
05-30-2010, 03:09 AM
I'm working on plans for a car I'm planning on building street stock for next year. Up to this point, I've concentrated on the chassis, but I'm just starting to look at the engine and I may have hit a snag. I would like to use the BOSS 351 block with Ford Sportsman cast iron heads. The problem I run into is the rules state that I need to run an OEM cast iron 2 barrel intake manifold. When I asked about OEM, I was told it just needed Ford numbers on it and they aren't supposed to be modified.

What is the best intake for these rules and this combination? Is there one?

I've still got a lot to learn about this Ford V8 stuff and any help is appreciated. Thanks!

pickel
05-30-2010, 11:22 PM
if you dont get an answer here try you question on www.thedirtforum.com great site full of answers..:cool:

Nate Stevens
06-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm try to contact a few people first and see if I can come up with an answer.

loboy
06-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Nate where u planning on running this?? Skyline or thunder?

Are thinking of runnimg the Cleveland block or Windsor? The Cleveland is mega heavy. We are running the Windsor with the stock 2bbl and it seems to run ok. Just need to improve the handling and drive off the corner.

Nate Stevens
06-01-2010, 04:41 PM
loboy, I'm mostly planning on running the ROC and specials. I have been a little haphazard with my rule checking. I've been using Thunder's website and clarifying with Jimmy from Skyline. I need to stop by Trackside to see what rules ROC are going by and if there are any plans for rules for next year. I thought they might be going by 5 Mile's, but the ones on their website don't seem to match what I've heard.

My issue comes from the heads I want to use. I believe the Sportsman heads have different port locations than the original Windsor heads, and I'm not sure if you can use a stock intake or not. The BOSS blocks come with different deck heights, so I was hoping this might correct this problem, but I figured I'd check on here first. Usually I get a quick answer on here.

Which car are you with? The only Ford Pure Stocks I can think of are Benjamin and Hurlbert. I'm guessing you have a Thunderbird. I'm planning on building an old Mustang, which I may have to use UMP rules which are better suited to the unibody cars. I believe the ROC, and maybe 5 Mile & Penn Can, are allowing them with added weight.

bushracing67
06-01-2010, 06:58 PM
what sportsman heads are talking about ? n351 ? if so they have the same port location as windsor heads, the "boss" block you are talking about, im assuming its a cleveland block ? if so why would you use a cleveland bottom end with windsor top ? most guys use the windsor bottom with cleveland top... at any rate you will not find a factory iron intake for a 9.2 deck with windsor heads, never happened, my thoughts would be to use a 351w with n351 heads and prolly track down a ford mercruiser 2bbl intake, dunno what the rest of your rules are but the n heads require offset roller rockers due to the valve relocation

Nate Stevens
06-01-2010, 07:20 PM
The BOSS block is a relatively new Ford Racing Block. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10467 Thanks on the n351 info. I don't know why I thought the ports were different. So I'm guessing I just bolt them to a Windsor block and I'm set. Unfortunately, at least one track I plan on racing at says no marine intakes, but I'll look into it.

Nate Stevens
06-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Well, I just read that you can't use that block with those heads, so never mind anyways. I guess I'm just trying to make this too complicated and expensive.

5dirtracing
06-02-2010, 01:39 AM
if you are planning on running a ford and must run 2v intake, use 351w with iron gt40 heads (not the gt40p) and a 1969-74 intake

Nate Stevens
06-02-2010, 02:48 AM
No GT heads, as per the rules. The 69-74 intake should work with n351 heads, right? I found a couple of those intakes listed at salvage yards for $30. From what I can tell, that is pretty much my only option for an intake. Brzezinski has a 2 barrel intake listed for a 302 (not that I'd ever use anything like that). ;) ;) That won't work on a 351w, will it?

bushracing67
06-02-2010, 09:05 AM
nope 302 is different than 351w, however you could look into building a 347 with the n351 heads and that bryzenski intake...

is there a stroker rule ? if not build yourself a 408w, i had an eagle 408/n351 heads/ super victor with a 4412 2bbl.... man i miss that motor

if your interested i have a 351 sportsman block i think it is the "A" block, 9.5 deck, 2 bolt main with a dss billet stud girdle, it needs a sleeve i think in #6, prolly an align hone would not hurt either, block is clearanced for 4" stroke and is 4.060 bore (would make 414" with 4" stroke) has a ciricle track oil pan and pick up with it, i would like to get $600 for it

loboy
06-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Nate ur on the right track...LOL.

The problem is the oem intake. You will have a hard time feeding those 351N heads but they still would be an improvement over the best oem head. Id luv to put a set on ours.

But with the ford at most tracks you would be able to get away with anything cause they are not knowledgable on them. Jimmy is the exception though.

If you decide to go oem heads look for the D0OE or C9OE castings. But they are not too common.

OHH and its a Cougar

FordVictory
06-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Nate,

Do you have to run cast iron exhaust manifolds or can you run headers? If you can run headers, a Windsor, or 347, with n351 heads is the way to go. If you have to run manifolds, a Cleveland would almost be a better setup for a 2V. In stock form, the Cleveland is about 25-30 lbs heavier than a Windsor. The Cleveland does flow much better than a Windsor for most hobby/street stock rules. Windsor stock intakes, as well as stock exhaust manifolds, don't flow all that well at high RPM's.

We ran a Cleveland for quite a few years in an IMCA hobby stock with around 20 wins total. We could also get 30-35 nights out of a motor before it needed freshening.

Good Luck.