PDA

View Full Version : 08 Shaw Looooooooooooooose

sneaky56
06-01-2010, 08:20 PM
OKAY I have an 08 shaw car, the car is loose all the way around the track 1/4 mile dusty slick all the time.

heres what we got for scale

260lbs driver so i put 60lbs in the seat ride heights are

lr11
rr 10-1/4
lf 8
rf 7-3/4

qa1 valve shocks.....secret!

lr 200lb spring
rr 175 spring
lf 600 spring
rf 650 sring

52.5 left
48.7 cross
58.9 rear

not sure exact rear weights as i don't have scale sheets here but i have ran anywhere from 0 to 70lbs of lr bite

american racer tires. 3" off on the rear and 2 "off on front
bearing b cages out pace bars
shaw pull bar 2 yellow bushings set at 1/2 inch 600-1200 spring middle hole on chassis.......also tried bottom hole
outpace lowers in front with 1/2" lead in rf

Car seems to be VERY loose and no fbite when slickens off i have ran all sorts of bite and no bite. have tried the 56 rear and have had no luck at all...motor is about 620hp so i know thats not the problem.....

I have tried pre indexing both bcages my bars are

LR Top in the top hole
LR bottom 3rd hole up from bottom

RR top 4th hole down from top
RR bottom in bottom hole

was running 1-1/2" stagger, tried running 1/2" then tried 3/4" reverse stagger

I have to be missing something i just can't figure out why i have no forward bite

highslider
06-01-2010, 10:10 PM
since you weigh 260 i would use a 225 LR spring. I am assuming that your bar lengths are what shaw calls for. Put your LR upper link in the 4th hole up and the LR lower link in the 2nd hole down. On the RR put the upper link in the 4th hole up and the RR lower link in the 3rd hole down. All links should be in the top holes on the birdcages. I would limit your left rear drop to 15 1/2 inches from top of birdcage to bottom of top frame rail. Also check your pinion angle to make sure it is correct. All this info should be in your shaw book but double check everything.

MacNoodle
06-01-2010, 10:37 PM
I have an 09 shaw it's not loose, but it does lack forward bite in the slick. I was thinking about pre-indexing my birdcages like you had mentioned. Was that something you thought of or talked to Kevin about? Did you not see any improvements at all?

sneaky56
06-02-2010, 07:48 AM
mac.......had my bars placed where shaw wanted them for 3 full races and the car was looser than it is now......also i have had the lr hike set at 15-1/2 from bc to frame rail.........tried lengthening it 1/2 inch that was definatly the wrong thing to do..........

AS for pre indexing that is something we tried ourselves...even though its right there in the book itsself.....

Just really frustrated, i have called kevin numerous times and have gotten great feedback from him but everything we have tried from shaw hasn't worked,,,,,,,i've even tried changing drivers and the way i drive myself and still no results.

not clamped up
06-02-2010, 08:37 AM
I know quite a few guys that have the spring-rubber bushing pullbars laying in the garage,if its a traction problem thats making you loose,if not if your car can be z-linked on the right side thats an option or the long LBB should make it push do you have a wrap up shock on?If not that will tighten entry and if you have a tru-trac differential it may be time to work on it.

MLR19
06-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Could it be the "secret shocks " arent the right ones for the application?

nothing personal, but I love it when guys show up at the track & have their car all covered up, & then go out & run last.

MacNoodle
06-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah I have called Kevin several times as well with other problems and have had great feedback with pretty good results. It seems like every week we make progress, but in return find something else were lacking. Kevin mentioned to me he hardly ever moves his 4 bar angles. He said he likes to tune the car with either lenghtening or shortning the right side wheel base. I can personally attest to that! It's amazing just what 2 rounds will do. I would suggest you try shortening your right side bars 2 rounds. I could be wrong but my 09 book doesn't say anything about pre-indexing for forward bite. It says just to do it to the right side for side bite.

sneaky56
06-02-2010, 10:19 AM
nothing secret about the shocks just would prefer not to say what they are....however there are 3 of us running the same car with the same shocks and for some reason my car is the only one lacking forward and side bite so shocks i know aren't the problem...........just wondering if droping the front springs 50lbs would help..........

what about the j bar how far up are you guys runing it on the frame and where at on the pinion on a 9"?????

cgary1g
06-02-2010, 01:28 PM
I run 650 lf 600 rf on a 1/3 mile dry/slick and the car is great come feature time, I run the j-bar about 5 1/2 inches up and 2nd hole up on a shaw pinion plate. The rf spring lets the car get on the rf a good bit but it isn't at all radical.

I have an 09 Shaw and the only thing I have ever done to tighten the car up was drop the lr bottom bar down a hole or play with right side bar lengths as previously stated, besides that playing with it on the scales. The only thing I see in your % would be a little much rear %.