View Full Version : Touchy brakes

C10
06-02-2010, 09:53 PM
info.........
4 bar car
Howe masters
Wilwood Calipers
Polymatrix pads.

Issue is my driver is complaining that even with little pedal effort, the brakes instantly shut the car down. He says they are grabbing very aggressively and doesnt have the ability to just apply or roll on to the brake.
I have good pressure to the calipers measured by a brake pressure tester, and brake balance adjuster checked out on the gauge as working properly as well. All calipers have been disassembled and cleaned, seals checked. I have been told that the rod length to the yokes from the master cylinder need to be a specific length, and others say that is not so. Reason I bring this up is because the pedal needed to be moved towards the driver a bit and it was done through the adjustment in the rods and the pivot points of the pedal and clevises are not in line with each other.

Simply put these things would stop a freakin train on a dime and leave 9 cents change, there is no easy on to them its either all in or nothing, so any help would be great ! Thanks !!

Graff Spee
06-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Do you have a residual pressure valve in line? You may have adjusted the pedal to far out to where you have a bit of preload on the master. It may not let the master release all the way. I see that no one cares to answer so I just took a shot at it! I hope that I have helped.:eek:

Darren28
06-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Try a different pad compound there are pads that will shut you down in a hurry and some that are less aggressive.. Try maybe a Hawk DTC-30 pad.. If you need a set shoot me an email [email protected]

C10
06-05-2010, 02:29 AM
I have spoken with Wilwood on the situation, they have been GREAT with talking with me about it and I believe we have narrowed it down to a compound issue and my driver not being used to a car with better than good brakes. All I can say is I am greatful for the people on here that go out of their way to help others they dont know! THANKS THANKS THANKS !!!!!