PDA

View Full Version : Oil hole ?

SRT17
06-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Which is better and why? Plugging or the screen vent caps on the lifter valleys. Thanks

fast_crew
06-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Tap all the drains in the center for 1/4" pipe. Then get 4-5" pipe nipples and cut them in half for the stand pipes (vents). Use a die grinder and enlarge the oil drains near the distributor area, atleast twice as big as they are stock, also lower the bottom edge of the drains in the front. That lets the blow by gases escape up the stand pipes and still allows the oil to drain and not onto the rotating assembly.

Hillbilly Deluxe
06-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Which is better and why? Plugging or the screen vent caps on the lifter valleys. Thanks

Leave them open. - If you are a street stock guy, a couple of horsepower and denying the camshaft proper lubrication isn't going to win you any races.

The theory is that there is enough windage and blowby in the crankcase that the oil under the intake is blown throughout the engine and sooner or later it will find it's way down those standoff pipes.

The theory also is that the supreme engine builders closes up those holes and puts a large pipe through the back of the block - thereby diverting all the oil directly back down into the oil pan.

I would think that it would be ok if you were using a dry belt Jesel system, but that it wouldn't be too kind to even a good double roller timing chain.

The goal when using those kinds of systems is to get the maximum amount of horsepower out of the engine possible, with no consideration as to wear or longevity. How long do you wish for your engine to last and how much are you willing to spend?

SRT17
06-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the info...I am new to v-8's...I have heard of doing this but I didn't know why....

fast_crew
06-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Leave them open. - If you are a street stock guy, a couple of horsepower and denying the camshaft proper lubrication isn't going to win you any races.

The theory is that there is enough windage and blowby in the crankcase that the oil under the intake is blown throughout the engine and sooner or later it will find it's way down those standoff pipes.

The theory also is that the supreme engine builders closes up those holes and puts a large pipe through the back of the block - thereby diverting all the oil directly back down into the oil pan.

I would think that it would be ok if you were using a dry belt Jesel system, but that it wouldn't be too kind to even a good double roller timing chain.

The goal when using those kinds of systems is to get the maximum amount of horsepower out of the engine possible, with no consideration as to wear or longevity. How long do you wish for your engine to last and how much are you willing to spend?

The real theory is that, with out the standpipes the oil draining back and the blowby coming up fight one another and restrict both oil return and add crankcase pressure. With standpipes and enlarged drain holes oil flows freely back to the pan with it's own 4 path's of flow and blowby escapes freely up the vents. The best of both worlds is just not to have any blowby:) As far as oil to the cam, the oil slinging off the rods and crank and from the direct lube lifters if your running them, are plenty of lube if your running the proper oil for flat tappet cams ( I HOPE YOU ARE)... And not letting the engine Idle below 1,200rpm or so.