PDA

View Full Version : Torn up birdcage?

citiracer
06-08-2010, 12:01 PM
We ran a steel left rear birdcage for 4 races and the shock clevis is bent along with the hole (long steel sleeve all stretched out) that it was going through. Has anybody else experienced this problem? This is on a MasterSbilt and the one that was on it when we bought the car was slightly bent in the same spot so we replaced it. Now the "new" one (purchased from MasterSbilt) is bent over 45 degrees (bent down) after just four races. The track was a little rough last time out but not all that bad. Our car stays up on the bars pretty well so I'm not understanding why this shock clevis is bent so badly. Any ideas?

Darren28
06-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I'd call Tader (812) 793-3666

citiracer
06-08-2010, 12:20 PM
I'd call Tader (812) 793-3666

I live just 20 minutes from their shop. I might just take it up there and see what he thinks. Maybe it can be repaired (new/better sleeve welded on?). I'm just trying to understand why it bent so easily and so severely. I'm not an engineer but my assessment is that the sleeve was the initial point of failure and then the shaft of the clevis just bent around what the sleeve provided. Perhaps just a strength of materials issue with the sleeve. I don't know.

Darren28
06-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I can't be sure. Maybe you are rolling it over.. If you know what I mean.. I don't want to try and tech a MB.. Tader would know I bet and if you are so close by all means pick his brain.