PDA

View Full Version : Need Leaf Spring Help

JOHNSON
06-08-2010, 10:36 PM
I HAVE NEVER BEEN AROUND A LEAF SPRING CAR AND NEED SOME HELP!!! ITS A SPORTSMAN CAR IN ILLINOIS WITH LEAFS, NOT SURE WHAT TO DO! DO I PUT ANY TYPE OF BARS ON IT, SHOCKS, SPRINGS, OR WHAT? I KNOW COIL SPRING CARS ONLY! PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS ANY PICTURES OF YOUR REAREND SETUPS PLEASE SHARE, IM LOST!! SEND PICTURE TO [email protected], OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, THANKS LANCE

DK1
06-08-2010, 11:18 PM
find the fastboys info

JOHNSON
06-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Im Still Wondering What All These Sportman Car Run For The Rear Suspension When There On Leaf!!! I Went To Macon Last Saturday Night And I Bet I Seen Over Half The Field On Leafs, But I Dont Know What I Need To Set Mine Up!!! Is There Any Of The Macon, Shepps, Or Jacksonville Guys On Here To Help Me Set This Up. Are You Guys Running A J-bar Or Anything, I Have No Idea. Only On This Car Is A Set Of Leaf Springs And Nothing Else

JOHNSON
06-11-2010, 09:11 PM
anyone have any info they can share with me!!!

Dirtrace54
06-11-2010, 10:19 PM
You dont need a jbar. Unless your on monoleafs, you dont need a pullbar. Just make sure you have a good set of springs and have no binds. The fastboys info can be very helpful. Most fast ones are on chrysler style leaf springs, but camaros can be made to work, they just are as reliable and wear out faster. On a super slick track, the longer front part of the leaf might actually give a touch better bite, but there are alot of trade offs. Some use a birdcage on the rr to float the spring, and this ussually is a good thing if setup right.

Might help to know your front clip.

J-Bill
06-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Lance call Wayne at Mullins , he will help and get you pointed in the right direction. If you need the number let me know.

429CJSleeper
06-12-2010, 09:59 AM
If your NOT going to put aftermarket springs on the car:

1. Remove whole spring assy.
2. Pay CLOSE attention to how the smallest spring is installed - mark it with a chisel or the like. Disassemble - keep left & right seperate.
3. (very) light sandblast / Wire brush / sand / and then power-wash / dry
4. Inspect for corroded springs/hardware.
5. IF anything needs replacing or is questionable - do it now.
6. Re-assemble ALL BUT smallest springs, coating contact sides with bearing grease
7. Install smallest spring UPSIDE DOWN (opposite of the way it came out) using more grease on the new contact side.
8. "Sleave" the springs with something durable, cheap and not quite permanent - tall skinny girl jeans (the legs) from 2nd hand stores work well. You want the sleaves to have some play but NOT flapping in the wind like a flag. At the ends & axel leave the mounting areas open (for mounting).
9. Secure ends of "wrap" with duct tape. It's best to duct tape the whole sleave.
10. Reinstall in car.

Your done, they will travel faster and smoother than any other "Doctored" leaf springs out there. It's no big deal to cut your sleave and proove you have stock springs...