PDA

View Full Version : QC gear containers

cushionbumper
06-10-2010, 08:01 AM
what are some of you using to store your QC gears instead of those plastic made-for-gears containers?
CB

Darren28
06-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Pencil Boxes from Walmart

cushionbumper
06-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Dang, that is a good idea.
Thanks Darren28.
Anybody else????????????????

mudslinger47
06-10-2010, 09:29 PM
if any of you have a 99cent store anywhere close, they have all kinds of plastic tubs, all sizes and if ya break one, so what, it was only a buck.

Duane

Matt49
06-11-2010, 09:27 AM
5-6 dollars for the plastic tote boxes is nuts. They always end up snapping the hinges anyway.

Darren28
06-11-2010, 10:23 AM
But the boxes made for the gears are nice cause they keep them from banging together and stack well. They are 6.00
http://cheaperracer.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=657

Egoracing
06-12-2010, 07:50 AM
But the boxes made for the gears are nice cause they keep them from banging together and stack well. They are 6.00
http://cheaperracer.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=657
Agree, What ever you use you should keep them from banging into each other.

Buhr Racing
06-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Just buy a roll of the wide foam door molding strips made out of foam from home depot or lowes and put a piece in between them or you buy a small roll of the bubble wrap for package shipping and lay a piece flat inside the pencil box, this will keep them from moving.

Here is another option that I got from my wifes scrapbooking storage....These tin bins can be bought for .35 cents at Michaels or JoAnne's etc.....
http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=14267&SubGroupID=14268&ParentGroupID=19037#14268

you can cut a piece a roll of the thin foam at home depot and cut a pice to stay in the bottom and up the sides and put a piece in between the gear..mark the top with a sharpie and good to go...you can also buy these in a stiff cardboard as well if you dont like the metal..These work great...!

Darren28
06-12-2010, 09:29 AM
There are many ideas for sure. But IMO just picking up a 6.00 gear box that is made for the purpose is the best way to go. You don't have to make any modifications to them. Just drop the gears in and you are done. ;)

Darren28
06-12-2010, 09:34 AM
There are many ideas for sure. But IMO just picking up a 6.00 gear box that is made for the purpose is the best way to go. You don't have to make any modifications to them. Just drop the gears in and you are done. ;)

Lincoln Highway Bullitt
06-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Do you really think the gears touching each other in travel is going to hurt them? I think they can take alot of abuse. Look at the heat cycles they go through and the torgue of being on and off the throttle. I dont think the gears touching going down the highway during travel is going to affect them.

JCSullivan00
06-13-2010, 01:02 PM
http://www.tapeandmedia.com/detail.asp?product_id=JL2-BLACK&source=Froogle&REFERER=Froogle

Picked these up at 45 cents a piece. They are for VHS tapes, and have ridges the gears can sit in to keep them seperated. They also have an insert you can write the gears numbers on.

Darren28
06-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Do you really think the gears touching each other in travel is going to hurt them? I think they can take alot of abuse. Look at the heat cycles they go through and the torgue of being on and off the throttle. I dont think the gears touching going down the highway during travel is going to affect them.

Didn't say touching. I said BANGING.. big difference. ;)

Lincoln Highway Bullitt
06-13-2010, 07:23 PM
I dont know about your trailer or hauler and how well it tows but I have already came home from the races with a cup of water that was left on the work bench in the trailer and it was still full when I got home. I dont think there is that much "BANGING" going on in the trailer unless you have a cabinet full of Monkeys with hammers in there.

Darren28
06-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Trailer tows just fine. but a moron cutting in front of you causing you to slam on your brakes isn't something you can control. I'm just one that takes extra special care of my equipment there is no harm in that is there?

Egoracing
06-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Do you strap your race car down? How about the tool box? Air compressor? The gears running together is a total different animal then the edges hitting and busting the gears. All it would take is someone pulling them out and the box slip. I have seen one chipped on the end of the tooth when the guy took them out of a sprint cars rear hot and dropped one on top of the other in the drain pan.

mudslinger47
06-14-2010, 10:26 PM
It is my opinion, if the gears get damaged from banging together, they weren't worth a crap in the first place and weren't going to transfer 700HP very danged long.

Duane

Egoracing
06-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Running in pattern and banging edges together are totally different issues. Every mfg will tell you to keep them from banging. If they do nothing else they will bur and it will kill them when you run them and the bur wears the gears.