PDA

View Full Version : running on the hot side

HarryT
06-13-2010, 03:41 PM
What are things to check if your engine is running on the hot side other then water ect,ect.

hpmaster
06-13-2010, 05:41 PM
If you are running gas make sure you have good fuel. Clean radiator that is in good shape and not been overheated too bad. Ck timing and total advance. Ck for vacuum leaks. Ck water pump and belts. I run the after market coolents, lots of guys dont. And always a a big azz fan as close to the radiator as you can. Make sure you are running a good rich mixture.

leadorfollow
06-13-2010, 05:43 PM
I would remove the radiator and lay it in a small kids pool with enough water to cover it laying down. make sure the fins are completely cleaned out. Also check to see how far away from the radiator the fan is located. Should be around 1" from my experience. make sure the radiator hoses are in great shape and not sucking shut. after that I would look into putting a shroud around the fan or putting a piece of plastic under the radiator to deflect air to the radiator. I'd start there and see if that helps.

CassellRaceEnginesInc
06-13-2010, 05:49 PM
double pass rad.....high flow pump......high flow T stat......32lb cap.....make sure to pull from the rear of the intake (and cool water into the center of the head on aluminum)........and a fan blade that will suck the AZZ off a cat!

jksm30
06-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Seen alot cars run hot because they were to cheap to put a new radiator cap on. Also if the temp sending unit is in the neck be sure to bleed out any trapped air so your not getting a false signal. Biggest 4 blade fan with a shroud. Shroud is not for pulling better Air it to keep the turbulance down so you don't bust the pump. Run a chin shroud. Check timing and jets.

scrub_fan
06-16-2010, 05:10 PM
make sure your radiator hose has a spring molded in it not a napa hose with the spring loose in it we had a problem with the hose getting hot and sucking the spring into the radiator

The Rudds 88
06-16-2010, 09:28 PM
make sure your radiator hose has a spring molded in it not a napa hose with the spring loose in it we had a problem with the hose getting hot and sucking the spring into the radiator

Same thing happened to us! And we didn't know what was happening for a couple weeks! It would push all the water out the radiator! :mad: It is still running hot though, not nearly as hot as when the hose was clapsing though, the jets in the carb I think are making it hot because we pulled the head off and checked the spark plug and it was white in there. I don't think it should be lean though figuring we already had pretty big jets in it already. What do people run for jet size usually on a 358 steel motor. jw.

Steve_Voisinet
06-22-2010, 10:16 PM
What are you running for pulleys? My engine ran quite a bit cooler when I switched from under drive pulleys to a one to one ratio......