PDA

View Full Version : Shock question

DK1
06-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Can someone explain what the effects of going from a 4/4 shock to a 5/5 or a 5/3 or 3/5 would be? I currently run 4/4 AFCO's on a 3200 Camaro Pure Stock and the rear of the car bounces around a lot. I would like to stiffen things up but not sure which direction to go in.

Dirtrace54
06-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Depends on it your talking front or rear shocks what would happen. Stiffening a shock delays , not stops, wieght from moving to or from that corner of the car. When you use split valves stiffer compression would delay wieght transfer to that corner more than transfer from and stiffer rebound would delay tranfer from that corner more than transfer to.

If the front is bouncing alot, I would almost say your front springs are to heavy tho, not a shock problem.

Just my 2 cents. Really need to know alot more info to help you more.

DK1
06-13-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm talking rear shocks. The car bounced so bad on a rough track that it junked both rear shocks. A friend sitting in the stands said the back wheels were coming up off the ground.

Front springs are both 800 lb rears are a modified 205 lr for fastboys and a 175 on rr both are multi leaf. Weights are 53% left 57% rear with most of the lead over the lr.

What else do you need to know?

Dirtrace54
06-14-2010, 05:56 AM
Couple other questions. Im going to assume your on camaro leafs since you said pure stock. Are the shocks in front or behind the axle and what size of lowering blocks are you running? Also what type of tires and by chance they arent bigger tires like 10 inch wide tires are they? One last piece of info, are you running sliders or shackles on the back of the springs, and if shackles, what angle are they?

You can go to a 5/5 shock and it might help. But leafs are ussually one of the better setups when its rough. Almost sounds like the car may have camaro leafs with something bound up. Leafs only get super bouncy when they bind.

Also 800s sound a lil soft for a 3200 pound car unless your running on a pretty small track. We ran a 800lf 900rf on a 1/5 mile, but on the bigger tracks we were up to a 900lf and 1050rf and that was on a 3100 lb car.

Dirtrace54
06-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Also, how much of the shock do you have sticking out at ride hieght? And you are running 9 inch shocks in the back, right?

DK1
06-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Yes I'm using camaro leafs. 3" block on lr and 1.5" on rr. Running shackles lr is about 40* to rear and the rr is about 15* I believe. Running medium 8" Hoosier e-mod tires with 26.5 on lr and 27.5 on rr. Shocks are in front of axle and lr has 3" and rr has 6-7" out at ride height

how can I tell if the springs are to soft? I had 800 lf and 1000rf and just switched to both 800s this last weekend. Car seemed to handle ok just bounce all over the place and keep the tires planted

Dirtrace54
06-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Alot of it sounds good. Ussualy you loose foward bite or bottom out the chassis when you get too soft. Reason you loose foward bite is because the front springs become to soft to transfer wieght to the back effectively.

Everything sounds pretty good though. What size of track?