PDA

View Full Version : acohol problem

rue
06-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Iam trying to convert over to alcohol got a 383 with 800 holly w/ 76 jets barry grant bypass . everything was going good till i started it . number 1 an 2 cyl's dont seem to be firing . blows alcohol out onto headers . just # 1 an 2 can touch headers not hot at all after it runs a while . i have changed plugs /wires/ cap/coils/ even put the stock dist back in just can't get it to run right . any help would be great thanks

JustAddDirt
06-14-2010, 03:21 PM
1.It is possible that you have flooded the first 2 holes while trying to fire motor.
2.Check your valve last settings
3. carb leaking down into cylinders
Note:
never start the motor on alky for the first start up of the day. Pour gas down carb and fire.

Without plugs in turn motor over and get all the alky out.
Put in new plugs
Put a fair amount of gas down the carb and get it fired up.
She should lite up and go.
should have around 5-7 psi fuel pressure.
put a 180 thermostat in so motor gets to operating temp.

outlawracing17
06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
we start our on alky all the time unless its a little colder out and does just fine why do you say not to fire on alky?

kraftkar7x
06-15-2010, 04:07 PM
I always start mine on the alky unless it's cold out then I put gas down it and I have never had an issue...

hpontap
06-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Iam trying to convert over to alcohol got a 383 with 800 holly w/ 76 jets barry grant bypass . everything was going good till i started it . number 1 an 2 cyl's dont seem to be firing . blows alcohol out onto headers . just # 1 an 2 can touch headers not hot at all after it runs a while . i have changed plugs /wires/ cap/coils/ even put the stock dist back in just can't get it to run right . any help would be great thanks

An 800 Holley with 76 jets on alcohol? Is this an alcohol carb or a gas carb that you are trying to use? If it is originally a gas carb and has not been modified for alky, then you are wasting your time.

Egoracing
06-15-2010, 10:37 PM
An 800 Holley with 76 jets on alcohol? Is this an alcohol carb or a gas carb that you are trying to use? If it is originally a gas carb and has not been modified for alky, then you are wasting your time.
I agree, it don't sound right.

Robbie
06-19-2010, 12:09 AM
I would have to agree with everybody else on this it does sound fishy. Is the carburetor built for alcohol if it isn't that thing won't never run. There is a big difference the way each carburetor is done for gas and alcohol. How ever if your carburetor isn't for alcohol it can be converted over.

www.devanecarbs.com

big88fan
06-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I agree that cant be right I run gas and mine takes 84's those jets should be way bigger if it is an alky carb

Chuckster421
06-19-2010, 11:37 AM
76's up front ain't right!!! It will run in the garage, maybe through hot laps, but two laps into your heat will come the worst feeling a racer ever has. Melted pistons!!! Do some homework before you reinvent the wheel.

jackson1
06-25-2010, 07:13 PM
134 front 154 rear jets 4.5 power valve in front ,plug rear make sure u have alky needles an floats that will get u close