PDA

View Full Version : Mastersbilt drivers PLEASE CHIME IN

dirtboy25
06-15-2010, 07:57 PM
We have an 01' Mastersbilt with 09' updates. It's square tube and overslung. We race a 1/4 mile high bank track that is dry and dusty on most occasions.

We get so much different feedback from other drivers that help and none of it seems to work. Our car is usually too tight, and has a very hard time getting up on the bars, even on a short straight bar.

My dad was pretty successful in the mid 90's running late models and since then we have been running everything else from modified to street stock. Now that we are back in lates he has a tendency to use old school technology.

I am just looking for all and any information i can get to get him in the winners circle.

What springs should i run, bar angles, bar lengths, j-bar lengths, short bar lengths, 5th coil rates, shocks, and %'s when scaling.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

junebug
06-15-2010, 08:28 PM
soft rf spring lots of rf rebound and not alot of wedge, this seems to be the way everyone is goin and i really like the way it feels

left-rear
06-15-2010, 10:07 PM
i had a 01 with 03 updates,, man i miss that car,, here is what i had, raced on hard ultra slick paper clip med bank track

springs 525-325
250-150
shocks 5/3 100psi 3/10 35psi
5/4 100psi 3/5 35ps
with gas pop up 150psi
5th 3/7 shock with 300lb spring second hole back from front
i ran integra std gas shocks on that car
1.5 stagger front 4.5 rear
corner weight with driver in car
573 458
725 568
left 55.8% rear 55.6%
rear end at 15 3/4
rear bars 15 1/2 and 17 1/2
with 7 hole rear brakets i would start at
lu 1 down ru 3 down
ll 5 up rl 3 up
j-bar up1 on pinion 8 1/2 on frame
change rs ride height front 3 5/8 rear 7 1/2
change rs camber to + 3.5 to 4
and left to -5.5 to 6
run short right upper

its just were i was at with that`car,, it worked really good for me

dirtboy25
06-16-2010, 12:06 AM
soft rf spring lots of rf rebound and not alot of wedge, this seems to be the way everyone is goin and i really like the way it feels

I see you mentioned soft RF spring. We went to a 350 once and to me the car seemed to work better and cornered better (from watching). And i see that (Left-rear) had 325 on what he gave me in his post.

The problem is, my dad keeps going back the the papers that Mastersbilt gave us. He thinks the car won't work unless we run what the book says (450lbs). To remind you he is really "old school in his techniques". I try telling him that those are just starting points and it won't fit everyones driving style.

To add along with notes, he is a very conservative driver. He likes to run the bottom groove but he will accasionally run the top if he needs to get around someone and then goes right back down to the bottom.

Do these cars like to be indexed? I've tried to get him to do it all season but for some reason he won't.

Gary Gorby told us this weekend that these cars are much better on straight bars. Is there truth to this from what you guys have experienced?

If needed i can get a guys some numbers that we have been running and let me know what needs to be changed or adjusted.

thanks for the input so far.

junebug
06-16-2010, 12:53 AM
looks to me like left-rear was on the same page with wat i was sayin, maybe a little more wedge then i was talkin but wedge is a driver prefernece thing i think, and another thing i forgot to mention if the car has a hard time getting on the bars then just start it on the bars, raise the left rear ride height and drop the right front, ive been doin this the last half of this year and its been awesome

LM1122
06-18-2010, 03:35 PM
cut it up and sell it as scrap and buy a rocket. no matter what we did that car wouldnt turn for us no matter what we did to it

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-18-2010, 04:19 PM
cut it up and sell it as scrap and buy a rocket. no matter what we did that car wouldnt turn for us no matter what we did to it

There might be some problems with those old Smacks, but I haven't seen one that wouldn't turn.

DIRTFUNFAN
06-18-2010, 04:30 PM
just about any car maker no matter who it is tells u to go down on right front spring when its slick to put drive in the car, keep playing with it, i would put a 350 to 375 front right spring and also go up with the jbar to give it some side bite and dont be afraid to make it roll over especially for a bottom feeder type driver.. just tell him u cant drive it like a lead sled street stock car its a real racecar built to race...

Rocketman09
06-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Go back to the basics 550LF 450RF 225LR 225RR with 100-120 lbs bite. gets dry put a 400RF in and run it. Mastersbilts have a higher roll center than the Rockets, therefore you can run a stiffer rf spring than almost every other brand. Make sure all of your front end isnt binding (ex, uppers and lowers). I would not reccomend anything lower than a 400# spring because when i run it never comes off the rf with that spring with only a 4 on the rebound

dchamp3
06-18-2010, 11:53 PM
lf 525 rf 375 lr 200 rr 225 120-150 wedge 8 1/2 j-bar 2 click on pinion

JTSjet
06-19-2010, 12:05 AM
yeah, that will solve all your problems :confused:

big88fan
06-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I dont think I would go as far to cut it up and scrap it but I did buy a rocket over the winter and like it much better I just ran my mastersbilt last weekend for the first time since getting the rocket and the masters is getting sold to buy another rocket now I realize alot of people win with the mastersbilt cars but alot of times it comes down to either making yourself change to drive the car or getting a car to your style of driving and the rocket is a better fit for me,
mine is a 2003 square tube by mars with every trick part you can buy for it to me it comes down to the masters is more of a finess style chassis and the rocket is more of a hammer down type chassis and I prefer the hammer down

LM1122
06-19-2010, 04:14 PM
we tried everything under the sun to loosen that car up and no matter what we did it still pushed to the top of the track like a freight train. running great since we got a rocket

kevin28
06-28-2010, 02:55 PM
You said it had updates so does this include the updated front spindles..If so you can run a 375 possibly a 350 on very smooth track.we change this and it helped the car alot..

racer41
06-30-2010, 05:49 PM
sale it in by a new rocket or the new gen xmasterbuilt

4bangerhotrod
07-01-2010, 02:41 AM
is your rocket a blue or black front end. the blue frontend car is a finess car to you have to keep the car square, strait to keep the car goin forward they dont like being sideways much. and the black frontend is more of a hammer down sideways car they will go forward no matter how you drive them. the blue cars dont have much drive but they turn through the corner so good they are really fast thanks to the lead built into the right front. and the black front end don't have lead built into the right front so thats why you have to drive them in and motor through the turns. but the straighter you can drive both cars the better they will go forward. just look at bloomers cars look how straight they stay through the turns theres a reason for that

4bangerhotrod
07-01-2010, 03:39 AM
when the track slows down put a softer RF spring in and when you drop spring add the wedge back, so if you drop spring 25lbs add 25lbs of wedge or drop spring 50lbs add 50lbs of wedge and each time you drop spring rate add 2-3 rounds in the LR for tilt do this and it will keep the car driving pretty close to the same.