PDA

View Full Version : 700-2000 pull bar spring

sneaky56
06-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Haven't used one yet but was wondering what some peoples opinions are on them........I have a shaw pull bar and recently took both yellow bushings out and had about 2-1/4 inches of travel in the slick.......using an older hypercoil 6-1200 spring.

Just wondering how this spring has been working for others using american racer tires????????

MidwestExpress
06-16-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. How has it been on the ar tires? It seems very agressive. Do you need a really big mill to run this spring? How much preload are people running. What type of pullbar are most people using with this spring?

Flyin Iowan
06-16-2010, 08:21 AM
I like it. it helps keep a throttle push out by starting soft but stiffens up fast to keep it hooked up coming off corners

modfan55
06-16-2010, 09:09 AM
is it a hypercoil brand?

Flyin Iowan
06-16-2010, 09:29 AM
is it a hypercoil brand?

Yes and i think u can only get it from shaw

jfleming
06-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Yes

Shaw had them made and bought all that they produced.....

Yes and i think u can only get it from shaw

sneaky56
06-16-2010, 12:41 PM
just ordered one yesterday from the man., Junior is the guys name not sure of last name though...........

We'll see how well it works, so far everyone likes them

MidwestExpress
06-16-2010, 08:17 PM
I got one from jr nolan also. See if it works. Just wondering if you need a big motor to run this spring. 2000 lb is pretty stiff

washeduptoo
06-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Are any of you guys running this spring on a non Shaw car and how much travel are you getting. I ordered one today, they were out and its coming from a Shaw dealer in Ohio I think. They told me it would fit the bsb outlaw pull bar(thats what we have) and start out with 1/2 inch preload.Thanks

sneaky56
06-17-2010, 07:39 AM
yah im curious to see if it works I just put my big motor in for 1/2 tracks so we'll see......

I was really surprised when Jason told me to put 1/2 pre load in the spring...kinda sounds like alot to me but like i said before we'll see!!!

Flyin Iowan
06-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Are any of you guys running this spring on a non Shaw car and how much travel are you getting. I ordered one today, they were out and its coming from a Shaw dealer in Ohio I think. They told me it would fit the bsb outlaw pull bar(thats what we have) and start out with 1/2 inch preload.Thanks

1 1/2" travel on a non shaw car on american racers with about 600hp 3/4" preload

washeduptoo
06-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Those are the tires we run and close on the hp. We're getting 1.5 inches of travel with a 1225 spring, going to 1075 this weekend to see what travel we'll get with it. Would like 2 inches of travel. Thanks

racehard24
06-17-2010, 10:20 AM
why 1/2 inch of preload? What if I only put in 1/4 inch.

Flyin Iowan
06-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Those are the tires we run and close on the hp. We're getting 1.5 inches of travel with a 1225 spring, going to 1075 this weekend to see what travel we'll get with it. Would like 2 inches of travel. Thanks

i pulled a 1450 3" switched to 700-2000 with 1/4 preload and pulled 2" - 2 1/2", then to have preload and cut down to 1 1/2"

washeduptoo
06-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Flyin, what did you notice when you changed the preload, did the forward bit get better? I know Kevin wrote on here that the spring was sensitive to preload and they were starting out with .5 inch preload. Thanks for the help in understanding how to set the spring up.

Flyin Iowan
06-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Flyin, what did you notice when you changed the preload, did the forward bit get better? I know Kevin wrote on here that the spring was sensitive to preload and they were starting out with .5 inch preload. Thanks for the help in understanding how to set the spring up.

i really couldnt tell to much, just that it got the travel down to what chassis builder said. The thing about a progressive is the less preload the softer it comes in...the softer it comes in the least likely you will have a throttle push from that spring....going from 1450 to this spring was huge...it set me back in the seat and took away 800+ RPM...i really feel that it was the pinion travel being cut down is what did the most....if i was getting 1 1/2 with a 1050 id run that...you start getting too much pinion travel and you level out the jbar when the yoke goes up...and that unloads the tires...just my thinking of how it works...

washeduptoo
06-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks, do you run the short pull bar or long pull bar?

racehard24
06-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Flyin, do you mean with more preload you got less travel which didn't let the tires spin as much? And you reall lost 800 rpm by going to this spring and getting set back int he seat good by having good bite? S if I want to be freer in he middle use less preload? Was going to start with 1/2 inch and running the afco 3 way.

Flyin Iowan
06-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks, do you run the short pull bar or long pull bar?

my cars pullbar goes to drive shaft loop, so i would say long(only option i have)

Flyin Iowan
06-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Flyin, do you mean with more preload you got less travel which didn't let the tires spin as much? And you reall lost 800 rpm by going to this spring and getting set back int he seat good by having good bite? S if I want to be freer in he middle use less preload? Was going to start with 1/2 inch and running the afco 3 way.

Yes more preload had less travel because the spring started out stiffer. If you have a slight throttle push back the preload off some. Also id set your biscuits at 3/4"

racehard24
06-18-2010, 08:17 AM
which biscuits?

Flyin Iowan
06-18-2010, 08:35 AM
which biscuits?

yellow or purple. Right Foot Performance says ump and usmts motors use yellow and imca motors use purple.

I use purple

racehard24
06-18-2010, 08:42 AM
I am just trying to get this set right. We are running the Afco 3 way pullbar. I was going to preload the new spring 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch and the bushing gap I was going to start at 3/4 inch. Is this where yuou would recomened. Normally with the 1200 lb spring we preload it 1/4 inch and get 2.5 inches of travel. For the biscuits we run one yellow and one purple. Thanks for the help. What would you set it at. We want about 2-2.25 inches of travel.

washeduptoo
06-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Thank you for your help.

racehard24
06-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Friday we had a chance to try the spring and didn't like it. We ran it with the Afco three stage and preloaded the spring 1/2 inch and had a 3/4 inch gap between the bushings and 2 purple biscuits. The car was tight in, tight in the middle and had no traction coming off. We normally will get 2-2.25 inches of travel but we only got 1.5 with this spring. Does it matter which way you put the spring in the pullbar? Also what could I do so it doesn't do what it did and get it to give more traction because it actually gave us less than what we ran before with the Quickcar rubber biscuit pullbar. We put that back in for the feature and the car was perfect and came from 10th to 2nd.

washeduptoo
06-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Flyin, was that you that made the USMTS feature the other night? Its tough to make those shows.

Flyin Iowan
06-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Flyin, was that you that made the USMTS feature the other night? Its tough to make those shows.

Yes that was me. Car was great, track wasnt. Got bounced around like a rag doll in feature. learned alot and it was a blast

Flyin Iowan
06-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Friday we had a chance to try the spring and didn't like it. We ran it with the Afco three stage and preloaded the spring 1/2 inch and had a 3/4 inch gap between the bushings and 2 purple biscuits. The car was tight in, tight in the middle and had no traction coming off. We normally will get 2-2.25 inches of travel but we only got 1.5 with this spring. Does it matter which way you put the spring in the pullbar? Also what could I do so it doesn't do what it did and get it to give more traction because it actually gave us less than what we ran before with the Quickcar rubber biscuit pullbar. We put that back in for the feature and the car was perfect and came from 10th to 2nd.

far as i know it doesnt matter which way spring goes. if you want the travel, gap out the biscuits more. You could be loose because your to tight in center. Sounds like your other bar is better for you tho.

racehard24
06-21-2010, 08:24 PM
I wasn't loose at all just didn't have any traction and for some reason was tight in which I wasn't with a strait 1200 or Bisquit bar. Should I back the preload off to 1/4 or maybe take out the biscuits completely I have heard of some guys doing this.

washeduptoo
06-22-2010, 04:51 AM
Flyin, congrats on making the USMTS feature and maybe next time the track will be better.

Flyin Iowan
06-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks!

I didnt notice anything different on entry with any kind of pullbar change. on entry off throttle your on the red rebound biscuit which i thought all pull bars had. Not to sure why this happened with your car

JustAddDirt
06-22-2010, 10:08 AM
I am just trying to get this set right. We are running the Afco 3 way pullbar. I was going to preload the new spring 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch and the bushing gap I was going to start at 3/4 inch. Is this where yuou would recomened. Normally with the 1200 lb spring we preload it 1/4 inch and get 2.5 inches of travel. For the biscuits we run one yellow and one purple. Thanks for the help. What would you set it at. We want about 2-2.25 inches of travel.

take out the inner bushings. That should let it travel more. You only need the bushings if you are running a straight rate spring.

racehard24
06-22-2010, 10:31 AM
should I still preload it 1/2 inch and why would it cause me to be tight on entry and the middle when my other pull bar doesn't?

k.shaw
06-22-2010, 10:38 AM
when running the 3-way pull bar with this spring you will take the bisquits out of the pull bar.
Sorry for not posting anything lately my password has'nt been working
Thanks Kevin Shaw

racehard24
06-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Kevin.. Why would I be tighter in and in the middle by using this? I could see the exit being hurt with the bushings but why entry and middle? Also should I keep the preload at 1/2 inch if I want 2-2.25 inches of travel?

racehard24
06-22-2010, 06:05 PM
So if I take the bushings out would this allow the spring to work freely and not work against the bushings (which may have created a stiffer acting spring) and defeat the purpose of the progressive spring? I just want about 2.25 inches of travel but don't want to be tight in and in the middle. Was also think of backing preload off to 1/4 inch.

k.shaw
06-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Racehard24,
Track conditions could play a role in this. The other think that can be going on this the amount of wrap that is being introduced at the pinion. Depending on what you had on before. The pinion could be moving more or less depending on the pull bar you had in previosly. And this will have the biggest effect on corner entry and middle of the corner handling.

racehard24
06-23-2010, 09:49 AM
thanks. Could hitting the bushings to early cuase the car to be tight in the middle and also to much preload?

washeduptoo
06-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Kevin, nice question and answer article in the DMM with you and your dad.

JustAddDirt
06-23-2010, 03:36 PM
thanks. Could hitting the bushings to early cuase the car to be tight in the middle and also to much preload?

Yes hitting that bushing would cause that, and so could picking throttle up too early, and track conditions. Could b a combination of all 3.

But when removing the yellow bushings, you might have to tignten preload till you get the amout of movment that you want. Start @ 1/2 and check your travel. if you need more travel loosen. if less travel is needed tighten.

JMO