PDA

View Full Version : Tire patch/plugs

Buick6
06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Has anyone had any luck with patching or plugging tires with small punctures in new tires and if so what works the best. tired of throwing away new tires with only a few laps on them.

washeduptoo
06-17-2010, 05:57 PM
We patched them and then ran tubes in them. Didn't try them on the rear though, might slip some and cause a problem, but read of people putting baby powder inside try to help. Do a search on here to see if its been discussed on here before, I know I read that somewhere. good luck.

dylchris
06-17-2010, 09:06 PM
We have ran patched tires on our SS and late mosel. We actually ran one on the right rear of our rocket for three nights. We bought the patch/plug type and left it settle. We also had some that did not last a full night. You need to decide if you are leading and ten laps into the feature it goes down. sucks

AH55
06-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I have a friend who gets his tires vulcanized (sp?) instead of patched. from what he tells me the guy gets the rubber area hot and apllies additional hot rubber so it molds together. I'm not really sure how it works exactly but he swears by it. he says you have to find a real old fashioned tire shop to do it.

lazerdealer
06-17-2010, 11:34 PM
You can have them patched like a normal tire, but when you do it you ONLY BARELY scuff the area with the buffer and then put one coat of vulcanizing fluid on and let dry completely. repeat vulcanizing fluid two more times and let dry completely then apply patch. The vulcanizing fluid is actually a thin layer of rubber that bonds with tire. Give me a shout if you need any more info.
Mitch 218-259-7036