PDA

View Full Version : Appleton Rack diagnosis Please!!

Palehorse
06-22-2010, 06:26 PM
For the past couple weeks I've been noticing my power steering starting to get weaker. I figured it was the pump failing and saturday it finally failed for good during the feature. I pulled in after the race and had to do a 3-point turn to get in my pit. Okay, now for the question. I let the p/s tank drain down past the pressure return hose and it is spraying like crazy so I wouldn't imagine it to be the pump since it is pumping. All this leaves is the rack. Appleton wants $500 and my first born to go through the rack, does this problem sound like the power cylinder or servo? Thanks for any help. btw its an Appleton 3.4

Darren28
06-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Sounds like a Servo for sure... Question is do you replace the servo and chance it.. or do you spend the 500 with Apple.. Tough call. We'll help you either way we can.. If you need a new rack let us know.

hpmaster
06-22-2010, 10:27 PM
check your pump pressure, should be darn close to 1400 psi, I have seen them work ok as low as 1100 but thats the low end. to check the servo simply block off one of the inlets and see if you can push or pull the rod easily, if you can than you need to get it re done. as for fluid it is supposed to be 1/2" above the return line. Also make sure you have hose capable of holding 28 inches on vaccuum on the supply side or it can sometimes suck it's self shut, that usualy happens at a really bad time :)