PDA

View Full Version : power steering problem

chevy30
06-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Just got car together and the power steering pump or rack seams to have a problem. The steering is hard as if no power steering at all. All worked fine last year, is it possible I got air into the system and if so how do you bleed it or where should I start.

mudslinger47
06-25-2010, 12:00 AM
We fought p/s problems for a season and a half, I'm bettin' its the pump. It was the pump on ours all along, the owner kept sending the thing out for a rebuild, replace it with a good pump not a cheap China one. Call whom ever you bought the rack and pump from for tech advise, but I'm layin' odds on the pump. We bled ours first at the pressure side of the servo then the pressure sides of the rack. Never made a real difference. Woodword told us to jack the car off the ground, start it up and turn the steering lock to lock a couple of times (with car running) and that will bleed the system.

Duane

charcoal01
06-25-2010, 07:23 AM
i was told by the guys at krc that its easiest to bleed the system with a power drill. take your belt off and put a drill or battery powered impact with a socket on the nut on the front of the bolt, then start spinning the pump. have someone work the system slowly back and forth a few times and then have them hold it hard against the left stop and then the right stop, should get the air out of it.

talclipse
06-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Just because I have been down this road before also check to make sure all of your heims are free. I fought 'power steering' (sent off pumps, servos, replaced lines, etc.) issues for the better part of a season one year simply because the large heim at the top of the safety shaft was slightly seized. A few shots of WD40 and the issue was resolved.

cjsracing
06-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Look in the resivor and if you can't see the fluid circulating then its a pump. I just had this happen and replaced the pump now it works fine.

Matt49
06-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Call me crazy but if it's circulating fluid (which if it isn't that's the problem: the pump), then there shouldn't be any air "trapped" in the system. If there was air in it, it should escape when the fluid hits the reservoir (it's not air tight or pressurized or anything). Just make sure that your lines on the reservoir stay below the fluid level and that the fluid level is couple of inches higher than the pump and you should be just fine.
Like I said, call me crazy, but I have never had to "bleed" a power steering system that had a reservoir. Given enough movement, it should bleed naturally via the reservoir. But you have to make sure that the fluid level in the reservoir is at least 2 inches higher than the pump.