PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Car......

DANNY
06-27-2010, 04:22 PM
I keep seeing all these cars what are around 3000 lbs race ready my car is 3400... I'm wondering what gives.... Am I missing something? heres some pics

Chuckster421
06-27-2010, 05:21 PM
car needs to go on a propane diet. All that 2" pipe on pass.side needs to be 1 1/2" Your frt. hoop appears to be 1 1/2" but then appears a 2" piece of something out of the bed of a pickup. Looks to be a CSC cage which are bigger tubes because of canadian rules. I'm not saying to start cutting the halo off but some of your pipes are overkill. Any Straight pipes that are big, and on the right need cut off and lighter, smaller put in. You also have more pipe in your upper shock mounts up frt. than I've seen in a long time

DANNY
06-28-2010, 12:41 AM
To the best of my knowlege the car came from colorado... I checked the stuff and thenres no 2" all that is all appears to be 1 3/4 but I will check it again tomorrow. I do see what you mean about that big bar that spans the lenth of the pass side tahts gonna be removed asap I may not even put something else there and just make the nerf bar come off the bars that are inside the frame rails. Here are some updated front pics the bar in front of the rad may come off and be replaced by 1 1/2 cus its 1 3/4 too im still tryin to figure what to cut off that wont hurt anything else (impact safety wise)...

This weight I had of 3400 was with a stock body shell roof down posts and all like you took it off a car before it went to the crusher (that stock).... Does any one have the numbers of what one of those weigh? It will be goin to an aftermarket body now as well....

hoosierdaddy48
06-28-2010, 11:51 AM
loks like a pile, buy my car :)

hogracer3d
06-28-2010, 12:29 PM
This is all that was left after our 8-09 weight loss program.

We now have 440 lbs of ballast to make 3000lbs

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h136/hogracer3d/100_4114.jpg

taslowroller
06-28-2010, 03:02 PM
If you have a good sheet metal guy you can make you a STEEL body out of 23 or 24 ga sheet metal like the make ac ducts out of and that will save you a good bit of weight

Millr1m
06-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Looks like an asphalt car! I would almost think that there is enough tubing in that car to build 2 cars

DANNY
06-28-2010, 11:53 PM
hey hog, can yea send me some more pics would love to see what else I can pull off there and still be safe... I dont do cages i have always purchased a car with cage in it... so this is uncharted territory for me but I do see alot that I can remove already my goal is to remove enough to pull 200 lb or more of lead from this thing I know hettin rid of that stock body was a good start but judging by what you guys have shown I can really get to shaving off the "fat" and make something happen... looks like that big "U" shaped bar in front of radiator is gonna go to be replaced by something smaller and lighter all that mess in pass side is going ....again any pics of what I could/should do would be great as said before and again thank you for the help with this :D

db22
06-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Just curious, is that rod thru the driver side lower control arm mounts there so you can get them square when moving them back? Is that how they achieve the shorter left side wheelbase? I understand if you dont want to give away secrets so you can P.M me if you want. Would like some insight on this.

cautrell05
06-29-2010, 01:14 AM
I wouldnt go too light with the radiator protection. I have seen way to many cars towed off with water running out after a minor bump. You have to finish before you can win. That doesent look all that heavy. How much of that 3400 is the body?
This was mine when it was new. Over built by todays standards but without the a pillars and alternator and on mod tires its about 3120, 53.6 rear with #200 of lead right in the center of the trunk. All steel body. Need to find an aluminum hood. that would help.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s19/cautrell05/metricLF.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s19/cautrell05/metricfront.jpg

Nick

hogracer3d
06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Just curious, is that rod thru the driver side lower control arm mounts there so you can get them square when moving them back? Is that how they achieve the shorter left side wheelbase? I understand if you dont want to give away secrets so you can P.M me if you want. Would like some insight on this.

No, that rod is for measuring purposes only for roll center, and front end calculations, and for holding the reinforcement washers in place while welding

Those mounts were left in the original positions, and just welded out complete, as the factory welds are tiny and lack some quality in spots, and sometimes miss the bracket completely