PDA

View Full Version : Upside down shocks?

motorbreath4
07-05-2010, 08:40 PM
question for all you knowitalls... i read the tech forums and try to comprehend what i can and it helps.. i think!

im new to actually working on a car, but have watched forever. my question is why would or what is the atvantage is to running your shocks upside down?

i ask cuz the guy who wins every dang race in our cars class runs them but no one else does. is there a reason for it? what diffrence does it make?

any help would be apreciated!

stock car driver
07-05-2010, 08:48 PM
upside down they are sprung wt.

Egoracing
07-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Shaft up, the weight of the shock body is on the wheel, with the shaft down only the weight of the shaft and piston stack are on the wheel so it lowers the weight that the shock has to control.

bushracing67
07-07-2010, 08:28 AM
and it also allows gravity to work against the seal/scraper instead of with it, the amount of weight you are talking about is so small.... hell on a good night we have double that worth of clay packed inside the front coil springs... if it is that great of an ideas then why arent richards, rayburn, bloomer or any of the others running their shocks upside down ? lol

motorbreath4
07-07-2010, 03:26 PM
i understand technically his r right side up... never thought about it that way but makes sence. i just wonder if theirs an advantage to running it on a 3200lb monte carlo or if he does it just to get people talking and wondering.

nikk
07-07-2010, 04:10 PM
There Is A Small Advantage Reducing Unsprung Weight.your Competitor's Domination Is Probably Due To His Attention To Detail Gaining All The "small Advantages"he Can.i Would Encourage You To Do The Same.good Luck!

bushracing67
07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
By definition, they are.

The "right-side-up" of a shock assumes the body of the shock is down and the shaft is up. That is the correct "Up" position. It has nothing to do with racing. This keeps the seal towards the top, so that any leak is minimized.

what are you basing this statement on ? i dont remember seeing an up arrow on any of my shocks, your seal up theory might work on asphalt but on dirt all you will accomplish is drawing extra dirt into the seal, and body down would add unsprung weight to the car, assuming the body weighs more than the shaft, and again i dont think there would be any type of measurable difference since any valving stiffer than a .5 would have more resistance than the weight of the body or the shaft

Mudface
07-07-2010, 07:33 PM
turn em upside down to swap the compression and rebound rating

stock car driver
07-07-2010, 07:47 PM
turn em upside down to swap the compression and rebound rating

um no, you still push the ends together to compress them.

This whole thread is full of info from people who should just be quiet and try and learn something.

roybeckett13j
07-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Steve smith explains the advantages in his books.

Basically, with the shock mounted with body bolted to the suspension, you have the mass of the body, inner tube, oil all moving over the shaft and valving. as when mounted with the shaft on the suspension, the shaft and valve moves in and out of the body. Its ment to give a more efficent and presise shock action, and reduce unsprung weight, therefore making the suspension more agile.

charcoal01
07-07-2010, 07:59 PM

This whole thread is full of info from people who should just be quiet and try and learn something.

what you said.

bushracing67
07-07-2010, 08:55 PM
lol..........

bushracing67
07-08-2010, 09:15 AM
yeah, thanx for the advice.... however you seem to be the one that had nothing informative to say, just tried to convince everyone that upside down is right side up, which it is not... if you were right coil overs would be made to use the other way, and the last mexican in the assembly line would be putting the afco stickers on the other way

stockcar5
07-08-2010, 10:56 AM
i like how bush compares steel body street stock shocks to aluminum late model coil over shocks...lol.

either way shaft down body up is best....just look at any late model, right bush? :)

Mudface
07-08-2010, 06:40 PM

come on dude i was freaking jokin around.... question had been already answered prior and i was being a smart arse

cassellracing24
07-09-2010, 07:30 AM
yeah, thanx for the advice.... however you seem to be the one that had nothing informative to say, just tried to convince everyone that upside down is right side up, which it is not... if you were right coil overs would be made to use the other way, and the last mexican in the assembly line would be putting the afco stickers on the other way

That's funny !!:D Stupid Mexican's:mad:

cassellracing24
07-09-2010, 07:31 AM
come on dude i was freaking jokin around.... question had been already answered prior and i was being a smart arse

No !! you were dead up wrong & Jeff had to correct you !!:(

Mudface
07-09-2010, 07:22 PM
No !! you were dead up wrong & Jeff had to correct you !!:(

I dont tink so ! But if thats what you wanna think its cool too :D