PDA

View Full Version : track width ????

dirty white boy
07-08-2010, 07:15 PM
should my tire contact patches be square or should the back be in a inch or so,..just got my rearend squared up under car an fixin to order wheels an poorboy wants to get it right the first time!!

Egoracing
07-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Narrow rear will tighten the car IF it is centered or to the left. If the right side wheels are in line then the car will not realise the difference. This is why many late models run the left straight in line and the RR in under the car.

gadirtracer
07-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Depending on track conditions, if possible, I'd have my wheels set up where the RR is out early in the night, then pull the wheel spacer and add it to the LR or RF if needed.
Do this on the scales so you'll know how much bite you'll need to add to get back to where you started. As moving the RR in will decrease LR weight.

RCJ
07-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I like my baseline setting to be front and rear track the same width with the rear offset 1'' to the left.This baseline works ok in all conditions but can be adjusted for finetuning.Becareful listening to people that say this makes you tight or loose.Track adjustments can make you loose in one part of the corner and tight in different part.

dirty white boy
07-09-2010, 08:12 PM
so as a new racer,..leave them square,...then adjust if i have a handleing issues latter!!

dirty white boy
07-11-2010, 07:26 PM
without spacers,..rr is in a 1/2 inch....left rear is in 3/8ths.....with yoke centered...

RCJ
07-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I would add a 1'' spacer to the l/r.

gadirtracer
07-12-2010, 10:04 PM
without spacers,..rr is in a 1/2 inch....left rear is in 3/8ths.....with yoke centered...

I'd try it like that. The rear should always be narrower than the front. At least you have room to play w/wheel spacers, or crutches as some will call them.
If track is heavy, line up the right side. If slick, line up the lefts, easy, quick adjustments.