PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Rear Seal on Bert

bumpdrafter
07-13-2010, 12:21 PM
I am having a problem with the rear seal on my standard bert getting pushed out of the tail housing.
To give a little background last year we broke a front u-joint and it damaged the outside of the housing around the seal. We ran the car one more time last year and it spit the rear seal out along with the bronze bearing. So I picked up used tail housing that looked like new and had it put on the bert with a new seal.
Had no problems with the seal in our other race this year. This last weekend we went to KC and noticed after the heat race that a small amount oil was getting past the rear seal. After the feature the seal was no longer in the tail housing and the underside of the car had a nice coating of oil/dirt.

Anyone have this problem before or any thoughts?

gadirtracer
07-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Sounds like too long of a drive shaft. Is slip yoke hitting the seal, knocking it out?

hpmaster
07-13-2010, 06:53 PM
With the cars wheels on the ground at proper height you should have at least 3" of yoke seal surface visable outside the tailshaft. I agree that it sounds like the yoke is taking the seal out. Been there done that LOL.

jr18
07-14-2010, 07:49 AM
I had the same problem first of the year. From what I figure out was that the DS puts the yoke in such a bind that it pulls the bushing and then the bushing pulls the seal. For some reason every time I use a new bushing this happen. I have honed the bushing, but I do not like to do this.

This is what I did to fix the problem. I drill two small holes beside the bushing (across from each other) and taped is with something like a 10/32 or a 10/24 tap. And than used a screw with a shoulder and let the shoulder set right on the edge of the bushing. Be care full and not let the shoulder of the screw set inside of the bushing it does not take much to hold it from coming out. Then I did the same thing for the seal.

The screw head that you are look for is like the ones that A/C guy used for their duct work but with a machine thread.

I hope this helps

Team11D
07-14-2010, 05:46 PM
make sure your output shaft is not bent had the same problem after losing a drive shaft

fast_crew
07-14-2010, 08:48 PM
You can also try a hose clamp on the outside of the tailshaft around where the seal goes in, just alittle extra support to keep the housing bore for the seal from flexing.

bumpdrafter
07-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Okay I've got 3-3/4" from the tail housing to the shoulder on the yoke.
The car is still in the trailer so I couldn't see if the bushing is also coming out.

I will check to see if the output shaft is bent. If it's straight looks like I'll be trying the hose clamp or "keeper" screws on the seal.

Maybe the output shaft is bent because I never had this problem before we lost the drive shaft.