PDA

View Full Version : alcohol to e85 fuel

rue
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
anybody ever try to run e85 instead of alcohol, in a alcohol carb without buying the $300 convertion kit .?? just wondering if it would work with a alcohol setup an not spending the extra money to convert? i have to go 50 miles to get a 55 gal drum of alcohol . and e85 is for sale at meyers 10 min away ??

E-85 MOD
07-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Dont do it. First thing unless it is mixed yourself you don't know what you are getting from a gas pump. When we tried on the dyno it would not work with a baker alky carb. We bought a willys carb for E-85 and ran 85 and 98 with that carb.

clm15
07-14-2010, 05:11 PM
What about a e-85 carb to chp vp crate fuel. I was told that to run the chp fuel you had to go 30% richer? Thats the differance in the e-85. Chp fuel carrys alot of oxigen.

rue
07-15-2010, 10:31 AM
ok thanks guys. :o

raceruck
07-24-2010, 02:21 AM
in the south,la to be exact they have used ethal for ever 85%gas 15%alky. now how often have you herd the octane rating of alky? I dont think there is a standard,im sure octane is not the right rating,maybe-proof,witch is not very ack. one is waterbased the other is oilbased,how often do you hear of that mix going well,however,the comonallity is hydrogin.so,in the south when they first started using ethal it cleaned resin and shelack off the inside of lines and everything and pluged filters,orfices.everybodys cars were faling plugs or breaking down until they got cleaned out. use racing fuel.

50j
07-24-2010, 09:14 AM
What about a e-85 carb to chp vp crate fuel. I was told that to run the chp fuel you had to go 30% richer? Thats the differance in the e-85. Chp fuel carrys alot of oxigen.

4-7% richer for CHP. Better off all around to use the right carb for the fuel.

50j
07-24-2010, 09:24 AM
anybody ever try to run e85 instead of alcohol, in a alcohol carb without buying the $300 convertion kit .?? just wondering if it would work with a alcohol setup an not spending the extra money to convert? i have to go 50 miles to get a 55 gal drum of alcohol . and e85 is for sale at meyers 10 min away ??

I run it and can tell you this; an alcohol carb won't work as well as one built for E-85. Kits are not the right way to do it either. The whole carb should be gone through and set up for it. A lot of times, like on mine, there are other things that need attention while it's apart. Fuel from the pump will work fine, you just need to test it to be sure the blend is right. You can buy a test kit for around $20.00 and it takes a couple of minutes. No big deal. The stuff is cheap and works great if you have the right equipment.