PDA

View Full Version : 5th coil spring rates for dry slick

hpmaster
07-14-2010, 10:30 PM
I have not played around much with different spring rates on my GRT but I have been told by using a softer spring on a dry slick track I can gain traction and forward drive is this true? I currently have a 325lb. spring and the length set a 32 inches. Would it be true that with a shorter set up you would use a softer spring? Any ideas welcomed.

latemodel17k
07-15-2010, 05:10 PM
The closer to the rear end the quicker you gain traction but the quicker you lose it. If you run it closer to the rear end it'll have more drive coming out, but you could start spinning the tires at the end of the staights.

You can also go as low as a 275 on the coil. My car owner just called GRT about that is week, and thats what they told him.

Graff Spee
07-15-2010, 06:22 PM
I try to spring the fifth to get three inches of travel. If it is real slick I have gone to four inches. Watch shock for bottoming and test test and test some more!;)

DIRT69
07-15-2010, 09:24 PM
could some give some details on how to adjust and set the travel on the fifth coil and 6th coil??? im new to the lift bar, 5th coil, 6th coil setups thanks for any help at all... sp..

dirtbanker
07-16-2010, 07:47 AM
could some give some details on how to adjust and set the travel on the fifth coil and 6th coil??? im new to the lift bar, 5th coil, 6th coil setups thanks for any help at all... sp..

The travel will be limited by the spring rates you choose and the track conditions. If you are wondering how to set up the 5th/6th coil:

You will need a pendilum angle finder (Home depot sells them in the tool section, next to the levels).
Jack the right side of the car up and back the adjuster off the 5th spring about an inch.
Put the car on the scales (so the car is on the suspension and yet off the ground so you can get under it).
Remove the bolt from the bottom of 5th coil assembly and move that end out or off the lift arm.
Put the angle finder on rear cover of quick change and read the angle indicated. (pinion angle).
Adjust the length of the sixth coil to get the pinion angle desired(as read on angle finder at rear cover).
Once the pinion angle is set (usually 6*), bolt 5th coil assembly into lift arm.
Turn the adjuster down till it contacts 5th spring and then add 2 rounds for preload.
Double check your pinion angle.