PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Chassis

gvpracing
07-16-2010, 01:43 AM
Hey I come from sprint cars on dirt then switched to asphalet legend cars and a local class for a limited type latemodel series opened and i want to get back in it I was just wondering why the car would have leaf springs on it? The guy says there are still mounts for a 4bar and how hard is it to change back. I have no idea about any of this stuff and eventually would like someone to help me with a set up.
Thanks
Garrett
GVP Racing

dirtbanker
07-16-2010, 07:16 AM
I think you are actually looking at an early 90's monoleaf car. These cars were very competitive in their day, you could drag those cars out of the trailer at any track and be fast with little thought as long as you kept up on the springs (they always performed best when the springs were newer and at full arch) The 4 bar type suspension they had back then (the LR spring was in front of birdcage) required a lot more adjustments and it was not as consistent as the monoleaf.

If the car was built prior to LR spring being moved to back of birdcage, the mounts in the chassis are probably too narrow to work with the new style 4 bar suspension. If the mounts have at least 2" inside, of the double shear mounts, then you could run current 4 bar suspension. You would need birdcages, links, and you would have to add a shock mount behind the axle on LR.

diplomunity
07-16-2010, 11:39 AM
What year of shaw is it. the shaw cars use most of the rocket information. but call larry to be sure on specifics. i highly suggest you get a good set of bearing birdcages and bars when you convert back. youll need 4 bars, j bar, torgue arm. possible some shocks and at least a 5th coil shock and spring. make sure you get with a good shock man and put a decent set of shocks based on your budget. i highly suggest Gary Winger. not sure of his website link but ask around you cant go wrong. also catch the setup class in the off season to better understand your chassis. invaluable information for those that take it in and dont get caught up on brand so much as application.

gvpracing
07-19-2010, 05:42 PM
It is between a 98-02 Shaw chassis it started out as a 4 bar car but the owner changed it to monoleaf because his track was very rough and dryslick he said it handled better. What is the whole 5th coil stuff(sorry new to dirt lm) is that something you have to make your self pretty much or do the cars already come with it. We have a couple of good shock guys out here but.... they do everyones shocks the same pretty much do you know of any good cheap out of staters? The car is coming with the J bar the 4 bars to convert it just need the good birdcages. Are there specific ones to diffferent rearend we have a winters quick change. Thanks for everyones help you guys rock It sucks being a newbie
Thanks
GVP Racing

sj valley dave
07-22-2010, 03:59 PM
I suggest that you get the Steve Smith book on Late Models. It really focuses on 4 bar cars, just mentions swing arm cars. We did that when we got into Late Models and it really helps a person understand the theory behind the 5th and 6th coils and what happens when you make changes, etc...

fastford
07-23-2010, 04:03 PM
talk to kevin shaw at larry shaw racing, he will send you the brackets and info needed to convert to 4 bar

gadirtracer
07-25-2010, 02:34 AM
For your shock needs.....
http://www.teamgw.com/
For your birdcages, shock mounts, fifth arm & mounts, fifth & sixth coil mounts.
http://www.ppmracingproducts.com/
Contact info for Shaw Race Cars
http://www.larryshaw.com/
Dirt Late Model Chassis Technology by Steve Smith/Joe Garrison is the book that was mentioned previously.
Depending on when the car was raced last and what attitude your looking for, go over the front suspension carefully. Take precise measurements and let Shaw know what you have. They'll know what you need to update the car.
If you haven't already bought the car, and are going to have to purchase everything new, price what you think you will need and add a grand to it. May be able to find a newer car for less than what you'll have in it.