PDA

View Full Version : Radiator info to share...

stock car driver
07-21-2010, 10:02 PM
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjit for leak down.

bushracing67
07-21-2010, 11:10 PM
i am i big fan of the fsr rads, larger channel top and bottom, mounts more secure than griffin or afco, and more material for mounting a shroud

cassellracing24
07-22-2010, 04:43 AM
That must be why they are $80 bucks cheaper huh.... Stuppid Chinese !!!:mad:

koltveitracing67
07-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Sorry ur havin trouble with the TruCool,I've been running them with no problems.

blncfn57
07-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Sorry ur havin trouble with the TruCool,I've been running them with no problems.

racecars tend to run cool in the garage Rick!!!!!

Where have u been???

Dirtrunner35
07-22-2010, 08:30 PM
True kool--- I had one that did the same thing. When holding it up to the sun, there was only one row I could see light in.

carowner73
07-22-2010, 10:08 PM
fsr buys there cores from china, griffin makes there own and are now cheaper than a fsr.

roybeckett13j
07-23-2010, 11:36 AM
I run a speedway rad in my i-stock, haven't ever had a problem with it! Car will get 220 tops on a 100 degree afternoon. Usually runs 180-190.

koltveitracing67
07-23-2010, 01:39 PM
racecars tend to run cool in the garage Rick!!!!!

Where have u been???

LMFAO so true bud.Dads gonna race my car this weekend :eek: so we'll c ya there.

koolaid89
07-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Just another example of "Don't ask how much it costs, ask where it's made"

roybeckett13j
07-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Lol, I put an alluminum intake on my istock this afternoon. We had some trouble with cooling this last race, and after pulling the thermostate housing off, there was a hunk of cast blocking the reducer! Advice: triple check the length of your thermo housing bolts before you torque them!

etex211
07-24-2010, 01:43 PM
We became suspicious of all of the no-name radiators a couple of years ago when a couple of my friends had cooling problems with brand new radiators.

I'm running a Howe right now with no issues.

Erichofer77
07-24-2010, 10:11 PM
We run the speedway brand rads in two cars not having any cooling issues yet 200 Max On gas

gadirtracer
07-25-2010, 02:46 AM
I've had 3 Speedway radiators in 3 different cars, no issues other than the cheap, thin junk, aluminum over flow fitting. First one broke when tightening it. Next two, replaced w/a brass fitting.

Dirtrace54
07-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Dont know where they are made, but PRC radiators have worked well for me. They arent cheap, but top notch construction on the ones Ive bought.

Egoracing
07-25-2010, 04:49 PM
There is a HUGE amount more to it than tube diameter or cross section. You have to look at the tank size, tube material thickness, fins per inch, core depth and width and flow rating. I have seen two radiators the exact same size and one will hold almost 1/2 gallon more water than another. I remember when some people thought it would be a great idea to buy used NASCAR radiators for their street stocks and they all overheated, the fins per inch are so high that if you are not running 150mph+ you are not getting adequate flow through the core to keep the engine cool.

carowner73
07-26-2010, 02:48 AM
I have learned over the years, on the important parts, its best to go with the name brand expensive parts over the most economical. I am tight but you have to learn where to cut corners and where to bite the bullet. Sometimes you can cut corners on vital parts and come out good, but eventually you will get bit and usually bit hard. Just my $.02.

Egoracing
07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Umm no there is no difference in the two radiators Im talking about except the size of the tubes, which would result in a whole lot slower moving water.

As for your half a gallon difference, thats funny since a 31 inch and 27 inch arent even a half gallon different in capacity.

Every mfg uses different tanks and the tank size and shape along with tube size can easily make a 1/2 gallon difference.

raceking26
07-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey Jeff, just thought I would chip in on the subject. When I ran my stockcar, I always used Griffin. It was the end of the season quick fix thing and i bought a Truecool. I Never had cooling problems before, until I put that truecool in, cooked the motor just like you said jeff.

Will never run a Truecool again.

I have a AFCO in the mod and it never overheats, but thats on alky so cooling shouldnt be a problem anyway

J-Bill
08-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Jeff, i have a FRC triple bypass is my car with a good sealed homemade shroud with a 4 bladefan, i have a hard time getting my car warm, usally 180 or 185 degrees.15 to 1 383.

stock car driver
08-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Jeff, i have a FRC triple bypass is my car with a good sealed homemade shroud with a 4 bladefan, i have a hard time getting my car warm, usally 180 or 185 degrees.15 to 1 383.

Do you run any restrictor at all? From what I was told by stewart water pumps a 2 pass will restrict the water flow a lot and may require at least their stage 4 pump. Curious how a 3 pass works out?

I ran tonight after switching to synthetic oil and am back to 205 and cooling down fast under cautions, with my griffin type 140 dollar radiator.

I run a high flow stat and a Adams pump which is much like the stewart.

I was actually thinking of trying a 2 pass or 3 pass just because I never have and my pumps should be able to move enough water. I got a stewart stage 4 here to try from a friend but havent put it on yet.

carowner73
08-15-2010, 11:02 PM
typically the doudle pass cools the engine down 10 to 15 degrees more than a single pass, stay away from the triple pass it is unneeded.

JMO

stock car driver
08-15-2010, 11:07 PM
typically the doudle pass cools the engine down 10 to 15 degrees more than a single pass, stay away from the triple pass it is unneeded.

JMO

I agree, but according to Stewart 2 pass isnt even needed? Ive never needed 2 pass but Im tempted to try one, just because I have soooo much more power on restarts when I get down to 180-190 its awesome.... That might be tooo cold to race at though I might need to run a 195 stat.

Dirtrace54
08-17-2010, 08:30 PM
The triple pass work great for mods on gas. The PRC one I mentioned I have ran, IMO, are far superior to Griffen. In my mod on a 12:1 motor, I ran 1:1 pulleys, nothing in water neck (both of these were suggested by the manufactorer and JR Motorsports) a regular 6 blade fan and no shroud. It ran about 190 on the hottest heavy track night. The year before I had a single row Griffen in with a 4 blade fan and it ran about 220.

I agree as the street stock radiators are much wider a triple pass is probably not needed and double pass will work fine, but for a 10 dollar difference between triple and double, its money well spent and you can always make a car run hotter.

Also as far as water pump, Im just running a stage 2 with no problems. JR and PRC said if the stage 2 didnt work properly, they suggested using the Circle Track black pump by Edlebrock. They said its the best pump on the market. Two of the big late model motor builders I talked to around here backed up the info on the Edlebrock pump also.