PDA

View Full Version : Gundrilled or Solid Axles

Rocket_racing
07-23-2010, 11:43 AM
which is more commonly used? any pros or cons?

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-23-2010, 11:51 AM
gundrilled - lighter, but tend to splinter when they fail. This makes it harder to get them out.

solid - heavy

I never ran solid enough to say which is more durable. The solid axles are not as hard of an alloy. They would be more likely to twist than break fail if I had to guess.

fastford
07-23-2010, 04:59 PM
in my opinion gundrilled are lighter and stronger than solid, a peace of tubbing is harder to twist into than a piece of solid round steel, and the way a gun drilled axle is produced they are extremly strong, weve got one car that has 10 year old mark williams axles in it and they are still like new

Egoracing
07-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Fastford is correct, a tube is more rigid as it has an inside and outside surface resisting twist. After talking to several industry people though the only real advantage is the weight but for acceleration you will never see the difference because where the weight is removed. The highest benefit is the unsprung weight but again it will only show if you are already running the lightest stuff on the market.

BMR
07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Solid- Right side
Gundrilled-left side

2R Rocket
07-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Solid- Right side
Gundrilled-left side
;) That's right!

Rocket_racing
07-31-2010, 02:47 AM
Solid- Right side
Gundrilled-left side

what's the reasoning behind that? just curious.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-31-2010, 08:46 AM
what's the reasoning behind that? just curious.

Probably worried about rear lube travelling down a gun drilled rr. I never had a problem.

Graff Spee
08-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Gun drilled all the way! It helps in rotating weight and unsprung weight. Both of these are critical yet often overlooked areas. If you have oil leaking or seal problems you may want to step up your maintenance program!