PDA

View Full Version : question for camaro hubs and clutch

Jethro14
07-28-2010, 02:50 AM
I am trying to figure out the best way to use 5 x 5 wheels on my 80 camaro pure stock. It has the standard spindles and a ford 9" on the back that is already set up for 4 3/4. I have too many 5 x 5 wheels to start from scratch. Does somebody make these aftermarket that will fit my spindles and the 9" ford or does everybody just pay to have them redrilled. Secondly, I have a muncie 4 speed but 1st and 2nd have been removed. the cheap $200 universal mcleod steel bellhousing, 10 spline input shaft. Will be running between 5.60s and 6.00s gear. To be honest I havent decided on a motor for the car yet but it will be either a 602 or a legal 355 done as close to the rules as possible. The tracks weight rule for a camaro is 3300. Car weighs 3320 with me in it and fuel cell close to empty. (when a motors in it of course) What would be the best clutch setup for this car. Here are the drivetrain rules.
1. Engine and transmission must match i.e.; GM-GM etc
2. Flywheel and clutch must be stock diameter, no lightening. No aluminum.
3. Steel scatter shield bell housing must be used except automatic transmission must run safety blanket. A minimum 2 inch hole must be in bell housing for inspection of clutch.
4. Transmission must have working reverse.
5. Automatic transmission allowed. Coolers and or lines must be safe for driver. Must use Safety Blanket.
6. Differential may be locked. Rear disc brakes and floater type rear-end allowed for safety.
7. Steel driveshaft painted white, with safety loop installed for safety.
8. Hydraulic release bearing and pedal ok. No aftermarket brake pedal or adjusters allowed. One master cylinder for brakes.

Also would like to know what everyones opinion on hydraulic bearing vs hydraulic slave cylinder vs mechanical linkage. I am leaning on mechanical due to less maintenance and less likley to fail imo. But I am new to this so my opinion is really not creditable and that is why I am asking for you guys advice. If you have an opinion on the above topics, please post them for me. I like alot of different peoples input so I have pros and cons of each. Thanks in advance

fast_crew
07-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Have your axles redrilled if possible. I would suggest the 10.5" corvette clutch and flywheel setup. Flywheel would weigh about 15lbs part# is 14085720 for the older style 2 piece cranks. I would use the slave cylinder for simplicity, no real maintenance with them and less parts and pieces then linkage.

Moldymulldoon
07-28-2010, 02:16 PM
The mid 80's caprice station wagons had the 5x5 rotors on them. The spindle I believe is the same as the camaro's. It also had the bigger studs already on them.

Can't hurt to check on this.

Jethro14
07-28-2010, 07:46 PM
thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely check on those caprice hubs. Fast Crew, do you think just the stock corvette clutch is the way to go. It doesnt say we cant run aftermarket, it just says stock diameter. Would a aftermarket corvette setup or any aftermarket setup be better than the stock corvette setup?

fast_crew
07-29-2010, 09:23 AM
I would get an aftermarket clutch and pressure plate obviusly ( LUK or perfermance friction, or zoom ) but nothing real fancy, unless you have the dough for a 10,000rpm clutch setup, which isn't really gonna be any lighter, only differance may be the clutch hub maybe solid instead of being floated with the springs to absorb some shock... We ran a regular 10.5" stock style clutch up to about 3 weeks ago, and that clutch was purchased about 8 years ago. Being that you can't lighten the flywheel ( oh and they can't tell that it's been cut .040 or .050" :D ) or run aluminum, the corvette flywheel is gonna be about as light as you can find. If you run a motor with a 1 piece rear main besure to get the right flywheel as the number I gave you before only fits 2 piece rear seal cranks. ( 14088646 is for 1 piece crank) both of these are light weight Nodular Iron. Can be had new from GM for about $200, you can find aftermarket (jegs, summit, A/Z etc cheaper but they are only regular cast iron.)

mr.slidewayz
07-29-2010, 10:03 AM
it was very common to use impala spindles on camaros back in the day . they were tougher , they had the 5x5 lug pattern and they accepted a much larger lower ball joint . i still have a set all prepaired . ball joints , studs , and all (with all 4 a-arms - the uppers are tubular) . what part of the country do you live in ?

AJL397
07-29-2010, 12:00 PM
These spindles was on most of the GM station wagons also from 78-83 and electra 225 has a number 2 on the back side nd cast ing number ends in 55 if my memory is correct .

gadirtracer
07-30-2010, 05:53 AM
1993-2002 Chevy Astro and GMC Safari have 5 on 5 lug pattern.
Hydraulic release bearing has been the most trouble free for me. Mechanical linkage and slave cylinders caused headaches for me.
Jegs sells a "Daikin" brand flywheel for under $100, internal or external balance. These "Z28" flywheels first came in the 1969 Camaro's. Takes a 10.4" clutch. I have used the cheaper brand and the GM flywheels. The only difference I could tell was the weight of my wallet when I walked away from the parts counter at the GM dealer. Lots lighter....:rolleyes: Stock clutch set will work too.