PDA

View Full Version : Leaf spring mounting

fatboy37
08-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I am building a Camaro clip, tube chassis street stock and would like to get some input on mounting the leafs(Chyrsler). I have read where it said to mount them equal front/rear so the springs do not bind, and I have seen where it said to toe them at the front to tighten or loosen the car. What might be the best way and what would be a good wheel base(I am at 105in but could go to around 110in).
Thanks

hogracer3d
08-01-2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/leaf.shtml

dirty white boy
08-01-2010, 01:47 PM
shorter be better than longer...dont know bout angleing springs

Graff Spee
08-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Run them straight and you will be fine. Do not intentionally build bind into the springs. If you mount them with a five degree angle front to rear, you will have good forward bite. If you mount at nine degrees front to back (most common) You will have a tighter feeling car going into turns but will require more tail weight to get traction. I have built cars both ways. Won more championships with the five degree set up though! These are cars I have built for people not for myself. I run a dirt late model. good luck.

fatboy37
08-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Run them straight and you will be fine. Do not intentionally build bind into the springs. If you mount them with a five degree angle front to rear, you will have good forward bite. If you mount at nine degrees front to back (most common) You will have a tighter feeling car going into turns but will require more tail weight to get traction. I have built cars both ways. Won more championships with the five degree set up though! These are cars I have built for people not for myself. I run a dirt late model. good luck.

Does the 5 degree front to rear mean that the rear mount should be higher than front? I checked with two companies about the slider boxes one suggests mounting them FLAT and the other at a angle towards front mount which might work best?

Graff Spee
08-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Yes, the rear would be higher than the front. Mount the slider boxes level with main rails (flat). The less voodoo the better! Good luck and have fun!:D

fatboy37
08-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Yes, the rear would be higher than the front. Mount the slider boxes level with main rails (flat). The less voodoo the better! Good luck and have fun!:D

Thanks for the input.