PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel for a bert??

jcracing18
08-02-2010, 01:07 PM
May be a stupid question, but I just bought a modified and didn't know do I need an automatic flywheel standard flywheel or does it matter??

thanks in advance

1cln_sdime
08-02-2010, 01:41 PM
automatic unless ur running a reverse mount then just order one for a bert as long as u know if u have a 1pc or 2pc rear main

jcracing18
08-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Ok thank you, what is a reverse mount?? sorry for the questions, just gotta learn once haha, but thanks for helping me out

dunn5
08-02-2010, 02:58 PM
A reverse mount starter bolts to the back of the bellhousing and requires a much smaller flywheel. It bolts to a bert bellhousing not the stock style bellhousings

Racin_G73
08-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I don't know about the 1 pc or 2 pc rear main... But the rest sounds right to me. When I was running a standard bellhousing with the starter in the 'stock' mounting location, I used a standard bellhousing from AutoZone.

When I moved to a reverse-mount starter (mounted on the bellhousing), with a Bert bellhousing, I had to buy the corresponding 'little' flywheel. Also, because my engine was externally balanced, I had to buy a specific flywheel to match. The one that came with the bellhousing was all-in-one with the coupler. The new one was two pieces - coupler and flywheel.

I've got a series of pictures from when I switched over located here:

And I'm going to upload you a pic with the 'stock' flywheel on the left and the Bert flywheel mounted on the back of the engine. You can see the stock starter sticking out a little bit, too. I hadn't removed it yet.
http://www.racing73.com/misc_debris/lj/racing73/032604PreSeasonRepairs/F2004_0326_211751AA%20(2).jpg