PDA

View Full Version : Leaf spring front mount multiple holes?

DK1
08-06-2010, 08:29 AM
On my car the rear leaf spring front mounts have 3 vertical holes. I've always just run them in the middle hole. I'm at the point now with my set up I'm looking to fine tune things. What will moving the front spring eye down or up do?

dirty white boy
08-08-2010, 08:47 AM
mine got 4 holes on right side an 5 holes on left,...woundering same thing???

stock car driver
08-08-2010, 10:37 AM
use whatever front hole lines up with the bottom of your axle tube so the front of the spring is level or going uphill from the axle

mize50
10-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I have a hobby camaro with 3 holes on the front leaf mounts on each side. I recently did some research and found some good info on landrums page, its landrumsprings.com. I went up one hole on each side and it made a big difference in the rear grip. If you start in the bottom hole, the rear of the car is at its highest. this means more rear body roll, so more side bite for the RR. Going up a hole at a time reduces the amount of side bite. It also flattens out the angle of the front half of the spring, which will give a slight amount of roll steer.

Basicly you are moving your center of mass up and down in the rear, adding to or subtracting from the amount of body roll. My car was a little tight on entry and tight in the center. I went up one hole on both sides. This made the car a little free on entry and in the center.

One thing to watch for is the angle of your wrap up shock, if you run one. When you change the front leaf mounts its changes your wrap up shock angle. After you set the leaf mounts, check your wrap up shock and adjust it back to 5 degs uphill toward the front, or whatever your preference is.

Good Luck

HMS27
06-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I found that running the lr spring down lower on the front mount adds as much as 28 lbs of lr bite per hole to the car. This gives awesome fwd bite but it makes it really tite in the center.

DaveBauerSS6
06-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Get the front of the both springs as high as you can go and long shackles if you can. This gets great forward bite and alot of rear steer. Great for the real dry slick. Use the lowering blocks for wedge/ ride height adjustment.