PDA

View Full Version : street tire help

4bangerhotrod
08-17-2010, 02:58 AM
does a street tire need to have heat in it to make it work to the best of its potential. work with LMs alot and we usually have around 180-200deg when the tires are working. how hot does a street tire need to be to work best and will softening a street tire make it better or will it kill the tire, the tires punch around 65 durometer right now and would like them around 45 to 50 for our track. have a safe user friendly softener and it is legal at this track. never ran street tires just trying to see if they react to stuff the same way a LM tire does.
thanks
4bangerhotrod

balljoint_
08-17-2010, 01:23 PM
interested in user friendly conditioners!

4bangerhotrod
08-17-2010, 05:49 PM
this softener is in the works right now by a kart guy he is still testing with it so im not aloud to tell anyone anything about it yet but it seems to be working really well on the karts so far.

carowner73
08-18-2010, 01:38 AM
street tires work best at cool temps, most will give up as they get hot. Whether or not you should soften them depends on the track. Give me more info on the track and i will try to recommend what to do.

i69racer
09-04-2010, 12:27 AM
yes i agree colder temp on the e-mod hoosiers i know when the rr get hot bite is gone

usafracer
09-04-2010, 12:53 AM
yes i agree colder temp on the e-mod hoosiers i know when the rr get hot bite is gone

That depends on what compound you are on. If you run a d and get it hot it will give up and burn off fast. Now if you have an h on there you need to get that thing hot or there will be no grip.

DI55
09-06-2010, 11:52 PM
i agree that cooler temps works better also. i personally know from running street tires for the first time this year that when cool a street tire seems to almost dig better than a hoosier. and the good thing i like myself about a street tire is how stiff the sidewall is allowing less tire rollover which equals more bite off the corner. i don't know about softening i haven't tried that as of now but i'm sure it would probably help.