PDA

View Full Version : Power Loss getting worse over the past month

97purestock
09-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I have been fighting this for a month! I have rebuilt the motor top to bottom, tried a new carb and distributor....

The thing just wont pull, we have lost 300+ RPM and we went from winning features to getting lapped! I don't know what else to do....

There is no spit or sputtering....it just will not go!

Ideas? I am at the end of my rope and pocketbook here!

usafracer
09-08-2010, 01:30 AM
There is a good chance it is not the engine. Look at things like trans rear end wheel bearings or brakes.

carowner73
09-08-2010, 03:27 AM
Set the timing with another timing light.
New air filter, fuel pump, check fuel pressure, check fuel cell vent, bad outerwear, check chassis ground, new ignition switch.

ToddSmith16
09-08-2010, 03:36 AM
check battery for volts and make sure there is no oil or grime in distributor.

97purestock
09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks guys. I have just delivered the tranny and tourque converter to our guy and am picking up the switch, pump and cleaner this afternoon.

If it were a bearing in the rear end (ford 9 inch) would I not get a vibration in the seat. It has happened to me before and I got a vibration.

If it were fuel delivery would it at least once in a 50 lap feature spit or sputter? Its just so weird that its such an even power loss.

Thanks and any othee ideas...say em I have had enough. Everything you guys say is getting done.

26-62 racing
09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Their are three components that make a motor run, compression, ignition, and fuel. Start with a compression test both dry and wet. Record your readings and compare them, if readings close to each other, or not excessive low, move on to ignition, example coil is not breaking down, loosing voltage to plugs. Battery voltage over length of race, just a couple of electrical examples. Check fuel delivery, pump pressure or regulator problems, fuel vent plugged, bad or kinked fuel line that will collapse in feature race. Work through your problems logically and keeps note, that way you know what is good and what needs to be replaced. The problem may be a combination of several things. Don't just change parts that is to expensive.

billy5x
09-08-2010, 11:01 PM
maybe everyone else is going faster now?

BleedingOrange
09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Pretty much do what "26-62 racing" said up above. I know of a guy that had this same problem and come to find out the carb worked itself loose causing a vacuum leak. So I would make sure there are no obviouse vacuum leaks.

Hillbilly Deluxe
09-10-2010, 01:59 PM
If it was mechanical - sooner or later the problem would turn up on it's own - when you had to be towed off the track.

I think some people needs to watch the movie 3 or Dale to understand what the problem is.

Ralph Earnhardt told his son that you have to work on your car all the time, because the minute you quit working on it and figure that you have things figured out, someone smarter then you - that was working on his car, finds something and it might take you the rest of the season just to catch up.

Chances are that it is not the car per se but the track has changed and what ever you were doing then, the car liked, now that it has gotten cooler, drier, wetter - what ever - your car is not adjusted to those conditions and you need to figure out what you need to do to catch up.

I saw a pure stock driver once put a 400 SBC in his car and get lapped by someone that claimed to have a stock 350. The rule of thumb usually is - the person that is up front and leading every week, is the biggest cheater on the track. The only way to beat a cheater is either to protest him and hope that they find what he has done to the car to make it faster - or spend more money and cheat worse then what they are cheating.

One local guy here - can't get out of his own way with a semi late model, but he took the engine out of his semi and put it in his street stock and now he comes from the back to the front every week. You would think that the track would see those big aluminum heads on that engine - but since there is no tech inspection and no tech inspectors - you can pretty much do as you please.

The end result is - that as you take money out of the pockets of the honest racer and put it in yours. It drives most of the competition from the track and in time when there is not enough cars to put on a show. The track will eliminate that division and pretty soon - all you will be is a memory.

These same people were protesting at the beginning of the season when they went to a big track and was tech inspected, because they all got caught with BERT transmissions in their street stocks. You don't need a BERT transmission in a street stock in a division that only pays $350 to win. But they were the people who were winning and they had access to the parts and they used the parts to cheat honest hard working people who did abide by the rules.

So if this kind of stuff is going on where I live, what makes you think that it isn't going on where you live?

Chico
09-10-2010, 06:44 PM
I agree with 26-62 Step by step eliminating probs even very small ones as you go However I dis agree with enforcer a bert is absolutely an advantage as it creates less drag by design and frees up HP if your Glide busted in two weeks chances are it wasn't rt to begin with I've run one for 4 yrs at a time with maint with no Probs and it wasn't a sluggish motor in front of it jmo

tucker71
09-10-2010, 09:04 PM
just because your winning and running up front dont always mean your cheating. but like the saying goes if you are running up front everyone thinks your cheating. alot of the times the cheated up cars are trying to catch the legal ones. be sure your brakes are not dragging any it dont take much for it to slow you down. a piece of tubing broke where my pedals are mounted and liked about a 3/8 or so from letting the brakes release all the way was hitting the balance bar

97purestock
09-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the help guys......after all this the problem has been solved!

It was a plugged fuel tank vent....go figure...

As for the cheating comments and the like...I would have been right with you if I hadn't lost RPM and my lap times had faded....if everyone else had just picked up their lap times then I would have been right with you...

good luck to everyone and thank you....