PDA

View Full Version : Enduro car question

#1-24-7
10-28-2010, 04:37 AM
Gonna run a enduro (dirt track) all stock cars, street tires. Any reason you couldn't run tubes in the tires to help with flats?
Usually the biggest problem with these 100 lap races is flats from running over debris etc.

anthonycacace
10-30-2010, 09:22 AM
I have run enduros and pure stocks.

The biggest thing when it comes to enduro tires I noticed was to have a real good set of tires to start with!! Don't run some junkyard specials as I can pretty much guess the RR will go about 60-70 laps in. I never actually tried running a tube on an enduro car.

But, we ran tubes on the pure stock with Hoosiers E-Mods and sometimes ran them tubeless. That choice really depended on what condition the tire was in as we would run Modified take offs.

If you do run tubes, put some baby powder in the tire. This helps cut down the friction between the tire/tube and will lessen the chance of shredding the tube do to heat.

The real crux for most is (but I cannot really say how true this is as everyone has differing opinions); a tire that is punctured, tends to leak a little at a time. A tube when puntured, tends to lose the air all at once. In the end, I would determine what air pressures you want to run in the tires. If you plan to go below 15-18 psi, I would recommend the tubes on an enduro to keep the tire bead set. Hope this helps.

#1-24-7
10-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks Anthony, I expect the track to be dry slick, dont think they'll water it since it's after a regular show Sat. so will probably run higher pressure and no tubes. Someone told me they've used fix a flat as a precaution in their tires, any opinions on that?

anthonycacace
11-01-2010, 07:51 AM
You could try the fix a flat. I never have and do not know anyone that ever has. It will increase the rotating mass of the tires though and cause a little power loss. But, if they are running the enduro after the regular night and without any additional water, that may be of some help in your case.

Although, I have seen some tracks pull the water truck on the track prior to the start of an enduro. Actually during one enduro, they stopped it in the middle to water the track! They said the cars were going too fast! Never heard of any racecar, regardless of class, going too fast.

usafracer
11-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Tire slime is going to be your best bet. The green stuff that you put in atv and bike tires. It works great.

#1-24-7
11-01-2010, 12:13 PM
The tire slime sounds good, not too worried about speed, just endurance. Plus the cars a loaner so I wont have to worry about that messy stuff in the tires afterwards!