PDA

View Full Version : What Exactly is Sidebite?

catgo22
10-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Thought I knew. After reading some posts, now I'm not sure. Is it only sideways grip on throttle? Is it only related to the rear of the car? Or is it when you throw the car into the corner whether it skates sideways?

RCJ
10-28-2010, 08:06 PM
We banned that word from our team.It seems like it means some thing different to everybody.

fast_crew
10-29-2010, 09:59 AM
It is a term used for RR grip while in a sliding or YAW motion. More sidebite the more the RR is pinned and not sliding sideways as much. A low or no sidebite condition can make the car feel like a 4 wheel slide when your chasing it up the track (loose) and you have to wait to pick up the throttle. Also remember the tire only gives so much grip weather side or forward, there is a fine balance.

joedoozer
10-29-2010, 12:02 PM
It is a term used for RR grip while in a sliding or YAW motion. More sidebite the more the RR is pinned and not sliding sideways as much. A low or no sidebite condition can make the car feel like a 4 wheel slide when your chasing it up the track (loose) and you have to wait to pick up the throttle. Also remeber the tire only gives so much grip weather side or forward, there is a fine balance.

This is how I always understood it. Or maybe its when you bit the inside of your cheek when you are chewing gum.....

Here are a couple links that discuss a little about the traction circle.
http://hogantechnologies.com/blog/2010/01/11/dirt-track-tires-traction-circle/

http://hogantechnologies.com/blog/2010/01/13/dirt-car-tire-traction-more-on-traction-circle-theory/

JTSjet
10-29-2010, 01:24 PM
it is a term that gets tossed around loosely. i think the hogan traction circle theory pretty much sums it up. the problem with the term when used in a practical application is that is generally used to describe a situation concerning all 4 tires working together producing an effect, but should really be broken down into each individual corner of the car. kinda the same as "tight" and "loose".

joedoozer
10-29-2010, 04:32 PM
it is a term that gets tossed around loosely. i think the hogan traction circle theory pretty much sums it up. the problem with the term when used in a practical application is that is generally used to describe a situation concerning all 4 tires working together producing an effect, but should really be broken down into each individual corner of the car. kinda the same as "tight" and "loose".

I think he does break it down (sort of) to individual tires in the video. He talks about stretching the tire. You could easily apply that to a RR tire only for example. Hard to take that knowledge and apply it directly to your car though. You have no way of measuring tire stretch in mid corner. You could probably do it during test sessions on a dry track, taking tire temps.

1Blacksheep
10-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Sidebite is the traction capability of the RR tire when the car is in YAW on or off the gas. ;)

CrumpRacing
11-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Does this help?

Ghopper
11-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Side bite is not created by one tire.

It is related to the lateral grip of the axle. If put all the rear weight on the RR tire, you will have less lateral grip that a car with more evenly loaded rear tires. This is easiestly explained by the Lateral Force vs Normal Load curve.

Ghopper

Ghopper
11-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Sidebite is felt by the driver as a combination of lateral and yaw acceleration. Remember that drivers can "feel" acceleration and time delay, not velocity.

Ghopper