PDA

View Full Version : altenator & electric fan info

mudderfudder
11-03-2010, 06:55 AM
I am tossing around the thought of running an altenator next season and i was wondering if any of you have an opinion on which is the most dependable and which is the lightest and less bulky. I am also thinking about running a electric fan fan due to the fact that i have a hard time getting the water temp up to 190 even on the hottest nights. Where and what elec. fan wouyld be better for me and where can i find it? Thanks in advance for all your input, great bunch of guys here.

tiny1
11-03-2010, 07:37 AM
I run an alt down here. it's a single wire we get them off suzuki cars. they handle our 820hp motor at 8500rpm well. hope this is of help.

HOTDOG
11-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I Don't know about the fan thing put I run RACEMATE it's a water altenator all in one. I've been running it for 10 years works great always have 12 to 14 volts and only takes 3hp but makes up for it by keeping the battary up.

Matt49
11-03-2010, 02:59 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about the RaceMate water pump/alternator deal.

mudderfudder
11-03-2010, 07:49 PM
where is a good place to find this item?

HOTDOG
11-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Racemate.com

shocker33
11-06-2010, 08:20 AM
if you're serious about an electric fan look into Spal fans. They're a italian owned company based in des moines, iowa....Have come stock on all ferrari's for years. They are also the fan of choice for the cup teams. They have many different models and will have what you need.

poppy
11-06-2010, 09:08 PM
I run an alt and have considered a electric fan. How much HP can you pick up with an electric fan vs a normal fan?

dirty white boy
11-07-2010, 01:58 AM
I run an alt and have considered a electric fan. How much HP can you pick up with an electric fan vs a normal fan?
depends on who ya ask,...any wheres from 5 to 35 hp...depending on rpm an fan,...an what you believe bout air flow.....i wonder my self,..an if it'll keep a hoss cool???

mudderfudder
11-13-2010, 06:26 AM
The reason why I was considering an elec fan was because even on the hottest of nights I had a hard time getting the car up to 190 water temp, and 220 oil temp running close to 8000 rpms, so i figured if i tried the alt. and elec fan early in the year when it was still kinda cool out so i could iron out the bugs and be in good shape for the hottest nights.

lazermod3
11-14-2010, 09:14 AM
alternator is a good idea we been running them for a while. the elec fan thing didnt work for us. i bought the highest flow spall fan and double pass radiator setup from c&r and couldn't keep the car cool in 50 deg weather while racing. it would cool it down on caution laps though and sitting in the pits the fan felt like it would blow you away but just wouldnt cool it under race conditions.. if your gonna make the fan work you need an airdam and tunnel to force the air into the radiator. we didnt see a performance change while we were using it so we just went back to the old mechanical deal but kept the alt.

you can get all the stuff you need from cv products we use the small raceproven alt. same one the cup guys use. there are 2 different ones the small one will run anything you need and keep the battery up.