PDA

View Full Version : MSD box rebuilding.

bestway1990
11-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Do any of you have any experience in having MSD boxes rebuilt as compared to buying new? I have several boxes that seem to be okay, but would like to have them checked out instead of buying new this year. I wouldn't ask any other year but this year things are a little tighter and don't want to waste any money, but at the same time don't want to start out with junk. Thoughts and opinions please. Positive comments, post here. Negative comments, please PM me. Thanks!

jason29a
11-08-2010, 10:49 PM
I send mine off every year to have checked or rebuilt. I send them to BR Motorsports in Visalia California. They will do a good job.

Egoracing
11-09-2010, 06:37 AM
I've sent several to MSD without a single issue. They even used to have a flat rate to repair them.

00mod
11-10-2010, 06:34 PM
What do they do to them? seriously

I'd think they're an electronic component, they'd either work or don't.

bestway1990
11-10-2010, 08:38 PM
We are wanting to go out next year with the best we can afford. I found out today from MSD that the box we run, the 6ALN, is not rebuildable, but can be tested. It's not rebuildable because the components are epoxied in for moisture and vibration resistance. Thanks for the input on this subject. I learned a little more today. Hope to learn a little more tommorow. At my age, that's all I can ask for. LOL
PS: The newest box I have was built in 2002!

Egoracing
11-10-2010, 10:08 PM
What do they do to them? seriously

I'd think they're an electronic component, they'd either work or don't.

The MSD boxes use internal capacitors which can degrade and loose output. Many will last YEARS without issues ( I had one running that was over 15 years old and in a daily driven truck). I have seen some that with put onto one of the displays would not jump a 1/4 inch gap while a new unit will easily jump 3/4 - 1 inch.

ep33510
11-13-2010, 12:05 PM
bestway1990

Going through a MSD box is worth it if your trying make your racing dollars go further. We rebuild MSD box's Including the MSD 6ALN, they have a silicone based product backfill. ( You just need to know how to get them out of the case! :) ) As a side note we can also update the boxes with a matched set of main amplifiers. The benefit being a faster triggering MSD box, for the circle track racer your quicker off the corners. If your interested I would be happy to talk to you about further. Have a good one And Remember To Keep It In The Blue Groove!!!!! www.techwestracing.com

Pat Collins
techwest@techwestracing.com

704-995-4286