PDA

View Full Version : Question about steering quicker

security one
11-14-2010, 07:26 AM
can you run a quickner with a stock chevy ps pump or do you have to use a after market pump also which is better 1.5 or 2.1 thanks for any info

Dirtman29
11-14-2010, 11:29 AM
The 2-1 quickener will steer a lot faster meaning less steering wheel movement is needed to turn the car. I have heard the OEM p.s. pumps create a bad vibration at racing RPMs, the race pumps dont have that problem.

racer11w
11-16-2010, 10:24 AM
i used a stock ps pump for three years with a 2:1 quickner and i never had any problems or vibrations and i know several others that use the stock pump and have never had a problem. i switched to a race pump just because i got it with a motor i bought and the only difference i can tell is steering from a stop its a little easier.

Moldymulldoon
11-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I use a piece of radiator hose clamped onto the top of the stock power steering pump. Cut a piece of tubing that fits inside the hose then put a valve cover breather on top. Three hose clamps and your done. I use about 8 inches of hose. If the fluid does foam up it wont spit out all over the manifolds. I put an old trans cooler in the return line too... I haven't had a mess all over the place this way.

I pressed an S-10 4 cylinder pump pulley onto the pump. 2.2 I believe. It is a larger diameter pulley.

Something to think about.

Moldy

dirttrackrocker
11-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Stock pump will work fine. Use reduction pulleys if you can and be sure to use Power steering fluid and not ATF. ATF will foam