PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 ford pistons

4b316
11-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Getting ready to redo our 2.5 ford,stock rod and was wondering what kind of piston choice is out there.What do some of you guys run.Running FI with basically a stock cam.

84Dave
11-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Talk to Vic Ellinger @ WiseCo pistons. (800)321-1364 ext.3016 . Tell him what you've got and what you're wanting to acheive. Their custom-made pistons are price competitive with their off-the-shelf products. Most any custom pin-height & ring package is available. They can also mill custom lateral gas ports for the top ring & an 'accumulator' groove between the top & 2nd ring. Use a Napier 2nd ring. I haven't checked lately, but WiseCo may even be coating pistons by now. I've used their product for years! -Dave-

Racedad
11-14-2010, 12:37 PM
We have been racing the 2.5 with stock crank,rods and stock ford pistons for some time. Probably 8 different motors,all 72-7500rpm,Long duration cams,350/500 holleys and 11:1 compression.
Only time we ever had an issue was if you get too lean without enough top ring gap we have lifted the top lands.
Can't believe you could hurt a stock piston with a stock cam without really trying to.
Hi Dave! Always nice to see you on here.

84Dave
11-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Always glad to be here RaceDad. We pay attention to your offerings & experience. Briefly.... on the subject of lateral gas ports in the top ring land. If one can get by the Rules, I'd use the ports even on a stock piston. Spent enough time on a dyno to know they're better than a Gapless top or 2nd ring. But..... a word of caution. Lateral gas ports introduce more combustion heat into the top ring. If there is .150", or less, aluminum between the top of the ring groove & the piston crown, gap the top ring @ .007"-per-inch of cylinder bore diameter. The first time I used lateral ports, I learned the hard way. The 1/2-mile paved oval @ Bakersfield, CA. A 7300-8500 operating band on a 2.0L Ford. Top rings gapped my normal .005"-per-inch of bore (without the ports). The engine lasted about 25 laps of the 50 lap race. Broke a chunk out of the top ring land of (2) pistons, and lifted the top ring land on the other two. Lesson learned. Rebuild with my self-imposed '.007" Rule' & never lost another engine. -Dave-