PDA

View Full Version : Coil springs brand and why

lovinlatemodels
11-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Needing to replace springs over the winter looking for opinions on what springs are better then the next. I had a recent friend say to stay away from the MX springs on the spring tester and they were two inconsintent (i think it's spelled that way). Brands i am looking at Hyperco,Swift,Afco,and Eibach. Also are the xtra clearence springs inporant on the RF only or all around. Thanks for any advice

Dirt Man
11-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Hypers. They are about the best you can buy for the money.

ref1662
11-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Swift for sure, call the guys at Out-Pace, they can help you! Ask for Jim, or Jon...

rich tanner
11-19-2010, 10:34 PM
mxsprings are the best springs on market by far rite know

pcope98
11-22-2010, 03:19 PM
we have run many brands of springs over the years,the hyperco's seem to hold rate pretty well and dont seem to settle alot, ive run the mx's and dont like them but i would use them again before ever using afco's, swift's they just dont seem to last at all,a good spring rater will tell you alot about a spring if you have acess to one..

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-22-2010, 03:33 PM
If anyone wants to do some fatigue testing on springs to find out the truth, let me know. Fatigue testing is what I do for a living. (It won't be free) My honest opinion is you buy whatever you can get the cheapest. I haven't seen that many problems with springs over the years.

jason29a
11-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I ask an afco rep about testing springs. And he said they sell alot of springs to guys who buy spring tester and dont rate the properly. He said he had never tested a bad spring unless it was bent. Other than that they were always good. Id go with what you can get the cheapest also.

hpmaster
11-22-2010, 05:31 PM
If a spring loses height it is bad, right? Or how much can it lose and be good?

lovinlatemodels
11-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks for all the advice and reason and the mx springs i have gotten to many saying to stay away. Hyperco springs is probly what i'll go with had the best luck with them in the past. Now do springs wear out i think they do i had a used 600 on the left front tested good and good height. Replaced it with a new one and car was junked on entry. I thougt it was track or a bind in the car bright idea replaced new with old and car went right back to where i was before so in my opinion they do wear out. Thanks for all the help guys.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-23-2010, 07:08 AM
If a spring loses height it is bad, right? Or how much can it lose and be good?

Yeah that is bad. Especially from the standpoint that your setup is changing when the height is changing. The spring is yielding somewhere for that to happen.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks for all the advice and reason and the mx springs i have gotten to many saying to stay away. Hyperco springs is probly what i'll go with had the best luck with them in the past. Now do springs wear out i think they do i had a used 600 on the left front tested good and good height. Replaced it with a new one and car was junked on entry. I thougt it was track or a bind in the car bright idea replaced new with old and car went right back to where i was before so in my opinion they do wear out. Thanks for all the help guys.

Just like anything else, they can fatigue. I bet if you rated both springs over the actual compression heights seen on the track you would find they were not the same. The only other explanation would be one of them leaving the spring cup or some other external problem.

lazermod3
11-30-2010, 03:16 PM
i've used them all and if your looking at long term the hyperco springs seem to stay the most consistant over the years vs any of the other brands we have used. otherwise just by the cheapest you can you'll get equal performance