PDA

View Full Version : Low Drag Rear Ends

FlatTire
11-18-2010, 10:09 AM
What are the differences between a "low drag" rear end and a "standard" rear end?

Do the bearings make contact in the races at a different angle? Is the bearing material different? I have noticed it is a lot easier to push a car with a "low drag" rear vs. the standard rear.

Anyone have any friction data?

Also has anyone had any bearing problems with the "low drag" rearends?

F22 RAPTOR
11-22-2010, 02:16 PM
What are the differences between a "low drag" rear end and a "standard" rear end?

Do the bearings make contact in the races at a different angle? Is the bearing material different? I have noticed it is a lot easier to push a car with a "low drag" rear vs. the standard rear.

Anyone have any friction data?

Also has anyone had any bearing problems with the "low drag" rearends?

Low Drag rears require more maintenance than standard, the bearings wear much quicker.

jason29a
11-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Heres my take on it... Just my opinion. Its money that doesnt need to be spent. I have ran low drag rearend with Ti lower shafts and ceramic bearing in the birdcages in the past. I quit using them after going to Volusia and hearing the rearend pop for the last 3 night of racing at the end of the straight away.

With a standard winters rearend in my car, you have to chock the wheels to keep it from rolling away on even the slightest of incline. And on my shop floor you can walk up to the car and literally push it with one finger. So i dont know how much more free it could be. So I use standards.

JMO