PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Car to 3 Link

Shane2403
11-28-2010, 06:56 PM
I am in the process of converting leaf over to 3 link, should I use the long pull bar with the progressive spring and if so, what spring to use. I have thought about the panhard bar in the rear of the car across the back, pros, cons 0r recommendations would be appreciated.

1Blacksheep
11-28-2010, 07:08 PM
3 link likes a solid pullbar 22". 15" lowers with no more than 5 - 10 deg angle up on left 5 on right. Any pan will work left close to level. Spring pull on 3-link adds some crazy steer characteristics that are undesirable and unpredictable depending on preload.

charcoal01
11-29-2010, 09:49 PM
3 link likes a solid pullbar 22". 15" lowers with no more than 5 - 10 deg angle up on left 5 on right. Any pan will work left close to level. Spring pull on 3-link adds some crazy steer characteristics that are undesirable and unpredictable depending on preload.

run a longer rr to control some of the steer, put more angle in the lr to get some quick drive center off. with some homework and shock tech you can make a 3 link hook like you wouldnt believe and drive like a mod. dont be afraid of the pull bar.

car4cyl
12-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Why change it ? a good leaf set up will will out run a 3 link any time.

1Blacksheep
12-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Feel free to give us some statistics on when and where this has takin place . ( Modified A class ):rolleyes:

dirty white boy
12-03-2010, 08:00 PM
seen leafs win against several good 3 link cars in limited sportsman at 311 speedway an rolling thunder raceway this season!!!

frontrunner
12-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Ill take my leaf car over a 3 link.. The 3 link & a leaf car u will have close 2 the same results on thae track the leaf car is alittle more forgiving and drive & llittle less pain as of setup.. but I still say leafspring is faster but thats just what I think.....

F22 RAPTOR
12-07-2010, 10:29 AM
You guys got my wheels turning. I'm a DLM guy, not many mods in Georgia, but it seems there is more innovation going on in mods these days as the DLM world has settled on 4 link as gospel. Now both leafs and 3 links are interesting to me, but I'm curious as to what's being run. If you could share some basic info with me I'd appreciate it so I might adapt it to a DLM.

3-Link:
Many years ago, like 1989, the team I was working with had a 3-link DLM, but that was the last one I've seen and don'r recall much about it. Could some one layout the Pro' & Con's as well as basic package info. Pull bar or 5th arm?

Leaf:
Now leaf cars I've been around, matter of fact a friend of mine outran Bloomer with a leafcar back in 1995 on back to back nights. My question is what do you mean by leaf car? Do you run Mono-leaf & Coils like we used on DLM's in the past or are you referring to that "Fastboys" setup? Or do you run single leafs or multi-leafs? Does anybody run Hyperco or Flex-A-Form composite leafs? Any info would be nice, Pro's & Con's as you see it.

Thanks,

Chip

frontrunner
12-07-2010, 06:28 PM
I run muti leafs on rear with sliders on both sides & I run no coils or no pullbars just leafs on rear & I wouldnt trade it 4 anything.....

Kojak_9x
12-07-2010, 10:24 PM
It really depends on the track.... I love leafs on hammer down tracks... When I was racing in NW Florida the tracks were stupid slick I tried every comination of leaf set up from stacks to fastboys... Could win heats but always felt like I was fighting for last in the mains. Went to a radical 3 link set up and wow top 5 car everynight... So to each there own however I will probably never go back to leafs. Another thing to think about how long has it been since a leaf car won a USMTS race or Super DLM race...I gonna guess 10 years or more.....

Kojak_9x
12-07-2010, 10:36 PM
I am in the process of converting leaf over to 3 link, should I use the long pull bar with the progressive spring and if so, what spring to use. I have thought about the panhard bar in the rear of the car across the back, pros, cons 0r recommendations would be appreciated.

I use a short pull bar with red bushings, wouldn't recommend spring(at all) or long pullbar on a 3 link unless you are running tracks bigger then 3/8 mile.

I dont know if I would use the long panhard bar..(never had). On stupid slick tracks I use short straight bar and if going to hammer down track I use a J bar. Always left it even with the pinion. 5-7'' rake with Jbar.

Also I'm against running a wrap up shock.

Shane2403
12-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Still working on car, I have a couple questions for the experts, what is the minimum spring base that is effective. The way it looks now, with the frame rails being 40.5" to the outside, the springs are going to be mounted at about 34" on eliminators to get clearance. Am I supposed to mount springs in front, rear, on axle? I have heard all different things. Even if I mount it on top of the axle, it will still have to inside the frame Everything has to be mounted on the inside of frame. I really don't want to be cutting up the frame, but I want it to be right. Thanks for any input.

frontrunner
12-11-2010, 07:03 PM
I love my leafspring car on a dryslick track It has alot of forward bite & side bite And seems 2 get faster the slicker it gets & futher into the feature.... Its better on a slick track than it is on a taky track & I dnt even have 2 work hard at the setup thats what I like also.........

F22 RAPTOR
12-12-2010, 09:43 AM
I love my leafspring car on a dryslick track It has alot of forward bite & side bite And seems 2 get faster the slicker it gets & futher into the feature.... Its better on a slick track than it is on a taky track & I dnt even have 2 work hard at the setup thats what I like also.........

Are you running Multi-leaf or composite leaf?
Have you or do you run your shocks behind the axle?

frontrunner
12-12-2010, 11:20 AM
I run muti-leafs & 1 shock ahead & 1 behind the axle.. I have never tried both shocks behind the axle & I dnt even know what will happen with both shocks behind.......

F22 RAPTOR
12-12-2010, 11:45 AM
I was considering at one point building a leaf car for crate late model. I was going to utilize composite single leafs from Flex-A-Form in Anderson, SC. They've been building composite leafs for supers since the early 80's. I got the idea from a couple of local hobby/clip cars that run this setup locally and are very fast. Anyway while I was talking to them it came up that he recommends both shocks behind for better wrap up, at least with his stuff. Are ya'll allowed to run composite springs? Anyway I want to build my own car and I've narrowed down the rear suspension to either 3-link or composite single leaf.

frontrunner
12-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Yea we r aloud 2 run composite but I dnt know anybody running them so im always thinkin if I spend all that money on them that I might not like them & I dnt know what I would have 2 change going from my stacked leafs 2 the composites... But my stacked leafs r landrums & I like them..............And what ur talking about it snds like a good idea........