PDA

View Full Version : Placement of battery

washeduptoo
11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Where are most builders placing the battery in a mod? Ours is outside the rail next to fuel cell on the lr. Thanks

Darkstar15
11-30-2010, 07:42 AM
Left side in front of fuel cell behind driver. Can be on bar of fuel cell to be able to move it left or right as needed.

John

racin6mod
11-30-2010, 05:07 PM
I think most place them right above the lr axle tube.I put mine over on the right side in the same area were latemodels have there drysump tanks.

washeduptoo
11-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the information

dirty white boy
11-30-2010, 11:06 PM
behind driver seet just below the deck...

washeduptoo
12-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the information.

zachmckenzieracing
12-27-2010, 04:47 AM
while all these answers may be correct, they may not be correct for you. the battery location is crucial. there are many variables that dictate the location of it the battery is also weight the key to correctly placing your battery will be found in weight you MUST understand how the battery will affect your car before placement also its a good idea to make the battery box adjustable so you can fine tune your machine it all boils down to geometry and physics

dirttrackrocker
12-27-2010, 07:35 AM
My GRT has it Low, right behind the RR axle tube

imcamodfan84
01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
I agree with the weight comment above. You have to first know what your rear/left% are. If you need more left side, move it as far to the left as you can. If your left is OK or too much, move it to the right side of the cars centerline. We moved our battery to the out side of the left rear rail, and moved our left side % nearly 1%

Racin_G73
01-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Mine is just inside the right frame rail, just in front of the axle and just below the decking.

I didn't choose the location, but my percentages are okay with the battery where it is. I've got a lot of lead already mounted on the car and need to add 50 - 100 lbs. more. Because my battery isn't right behind the seat, I can bolt a bunch of it there.

I was always told to try to add weight high, just in front of the rear axle and as close to the centerline as possible. But, of course, your mileage may vary as others have mentioned.

imcamodfan84
01-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Racin_G73
Mine is just inside the right frame rail, just in front of the axle and just below the decking.

I didn't choose the location, but my percentages are okay with the battery where it is. I've got a lot of lead already mounted on the car and need to add 50 - 100 lbs. more. Because my battery isn't right behind the seat, I can bolt a bunch of it there.

I was always told to try to add weight high, just in front of the rear axle and as close to the centerline as possible. But, of course, your mileage may vary as others have mentioned.

I would actually try moving your battery before adding another 50 pounds of lead... If you can achieve getting your %'s where you need by using the weight already on the car, you have less weight to drag around the track. The less weight you have to drag around, the faster lap times you can turn. And adding weight high, well above the CG of the car makes for a top heavy car. Not exactly what you want when the track isnt heavy and tacky. Put a top heavy car on a slick track, against a car with weight around the CG, and you will quickly see the difference.....

dirttrackrocker
01-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Why do you need another 50 to 100 pounds??? Are you that far off on Rear or Left % ???

imcamodfan84
01-07-2011, 08:51 AM
IMHO, only add lead to make weight.... Any other time try and move weight around that is on the car to get your rear and left side % to where you want them.

washeduptoo
01-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the help, looks like we'll leave it where it is for now, still too much to do and we race in about a month. Thanks again.

Racin_G73
01-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.

The reason I'm adding lead is because I have to run 20 gallons of fuel just to 'make weight'. I figure if I add lead I can run a lot less fuel. On most nights it wouldn't be an issue. But if I ever run a longer race I'm going to have a hard time making weight even if I fill the tank up to 32 gallons for the start.

I was told that putting the weight high would allow it to act like a lever, pressing down on the right rear tire when the car is in the corner. I suppose that depends a lot on your particular setup. But it made sense to me.