PDA

View Full Version : Old Style Nose ?

RacerX10
12-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Anybody know where you can still buy the "old" style nose piece (not the MD-whatever stuff that require the $$ flappers)

Like this one :

http://www.rtach.com/pics/nose.jpg

Thanks

mudderfudder
12-05-2010, 09:14 AM
I beleive you can still get them at Performance Bodies.

RacerX10
12-05-2010, 09:50 AM
To me the noses keep getting uglier and uglier. Why bother having these noses anymore, they have them laid back so far we might as well run the slope style nose and call it a day, they look better anyway. By the way I'm not bashing you nose, the one pictured looks better than the one I just saw on the new killer chassis with the flappers.... JMO

I agree, the new stuff looks ridiculous. The nose piece on my car in the picture is about 7 years old and that's the last time they didn't look stupid.

I don't know wtf is up with the nonsense about them molding the new ones with 2" of rake on one side either .. they look horrible.

hpmaster
12-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Function over looks, downforce.

Rocky
12-05-2010, 02:04 PM
You can still get them noses Speedway still has them in the catalog.

dirty white boy
12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
speedway has some,...performance body got them for a verity of makes all way back to 70s camaro

F22 RAPTOR
12-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Why force us to run a nose is my point. You could go back to the slope style nose from the early 90's and make it yourself, no retarded sticker set masquerading as stock appearing. The whole reason everyone went down this road was to appear more stock so the fans could relate to a make and model, but it's obviously a lost effort because nobody could identify with this junk... JMO

RCJ
12-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Were the MD3 ,dominator nose designed in a wind tunnel or did somebody say''looks good build it''?

FYS motorsports
12-05-2010, 08:09 PM
859-382-3557 give me a call i can get u those cheap thanks Bobby

F22 RAPTOR
12-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Was the MD3 ,dominator nose designed in a wind tunnel or did somebody say''looks good build it''?

I'm going with selection number 2, because I seriously doubt anybody ponied up for a wind tunnel test.

supercomet32
12-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Think about it like this in the last few years weve seen the birth of the world of outlaws late models and they (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) sure wind tunnel test winged sprint cars to determine what down force is being produced and set a rule regarding what can be done to the wing. its not unlikely that they slipped in some bodied chassis and played with various noses angle etc for a couple of extra runs im sure it didnt increase the cost by much. when you sign up for a wind tunnel test at an air force base or a air craft manufacturer you paying more if your testing every possible test but to fire up the fans and run a few analysis and the facility doesnt have to provide as much input it would make perfect sense for someone looking to do wind tunnel test on the cheap. not that its cheap but compared to testing avionics on a x plane i promise you its not as complicated or costly.

WheelchairWarrior
12-06-2010, 05:18 PM
I had often wondered if a guy could still find any of the old Ford Probe noses that used to be so popular?

RacerX10
12-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Found it !

Respectable price, too ($114)

http://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=7025

9D7
12-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I GOT 5 PONTIAC GP BLUE NOSES I TAKE 65.00 ea PLUS FREIGHT BRAND NEW

lazermod3
12-11-2010, 08:06 PM
the XD-4 has been to the wind tunnel and outperforms anything out there when it comes to downforce. check them out plus i think they look alot better, and i know they're alot less expensive.

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/68/Late_Models/post/2039259/XD-4-NOSE-KITS.html

RacerX10
12-12-2010, 11:37 AM
the XD-4 has been to the wind tunnel and outperforms anything out there

Can we see the data ?

lazermod3
12-14-2010, 02:15 PM
no you can't see the data but just ask anyone that has driven their car with one and they will tell you the difference is noticable.

the reason you cant see the data is that there are many small things that make a huge difference and they paid the bill and spent the time.

check out the circle track article from last year.

RCJ
12-14-2010, 05:03 PM
What kind of down force numbers in general does a late model have?

lazermod3
12-15-2010, 08:46 AM
idk for sure but i am making an assumption that its in the hundreds of pounds from what i here the guys talk about. cause they claim the xd setup beats out everyone by neirly 80lbs. i would say that sounds like alot but i know on my car i could tell a huge difference in the way it steers after only changing the nose.

lazermod3
12-15-2010, 09:20 AM
from the horses mouth but not word exactly.

the test used the 3 popular designs and a wedge style also the old camaro. all were installed like typical noses in the same manner.

air density and barometer readings as well as wheel load cells took readings from various locations. the results were based on that. the conclusion was that the wedge was a more efficient model and created more downforce than any of the others. which led to the design of the xd nose. there were 3 others before the xd-4 which is why its called the xd-4.

they say the main problem is that more lift is created with the other packages and the xd has the solution to that problem built into it. so inturn more air is used to push the car down which is why they say 80 lbs at 80 mph more.

Egoracing
12-15-2010, 09:52 AM
It says that the lower lip is molded in but in the picture it is a different color and it is pop riveted on.

lazermod3
12-15-2010, 01:29 PM
the lower is moulded into the nose you must be looking at an md-3.

on rices car i think they use florencent tape to color the lower part but is is definitly moulded to the nose and the fender bottoms. NOT riveted its a great piece and you don't really notice the difference until you park 2 cars with different noses next to each other

i see what your saying they have the bolts through the lip attching it to the bumper supports but that orange on the bottom is a solid part of the rest of the nose the only way to remove it is to cut it off.

JCSullivan00
12-15-2010, 03:54 PM
The picture of Rices' car on the racing junk ad definitely DOES have rivets on the bottom of the nose.

Egoracing
12-15-2010, 05:42 PM
They are rivets and the bottom lip is folded all to heck and is only part of the way across. It does not appear to be tape but a plastic piece. On the MD-3 the 2 layers of plastic once riveted together make it a MUCH stronger piece and it will be stronger than any single piece of plastic unless it is 2 times as thick.

RacerX10
12-15-2010, 06:00 PM
I haven't heard a word about Cd (drag coefficient)

Downforce is all well and good but but Cd is at least as important and the older rounded style nose will be better than the triangles they are selling now (XD, MD)

larryhag
12-15-2010, 09:52 PM
try AR bodies is Greenbrier Tn ph 888 245 1468

lazermod3
12-16-2010, 07:54 AM
i'm not gonna argue about rivits or what ever its all 1 piece the xd is an awsome product and they are pricing it right and fair. it has better material and fits right together everytime without trimming plus the guys at l.s.g. are good people.

goto a trade show and see it for yourself they have a real nice display that you can look at for yourself.

as far as drag goes i think with the bodies we have on these cars you could have the most efficient nose ever and its not gonna change that aspect, just think about it.

WIN-WIN
12-17-2010, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=lazermod3;1306410]the XD-4 has been to the wind tunnel and outperforms anything out there when it comes to downforce. check them out plus i think they look alot better, and i know they're alot less expensive.QUOTE]

Is this the part you bring the blind guy out of the crowd and sell him some of your miracle potion and miraculously he can see??

RacerX10
12-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Is this the part you bring the blind guy out of the crowd and sell him some of your miracle potion and miraculously he can see??

<golf clap>

Well played, sir :)

lazermod3
12-19-2010, 09:29 PM
HATERS gonna HATE.

don't hate the player hate the game. and there are alot of c/o's out there mad that l.s.g. is selling these so cheap.

carry on

jason29a
12-19-2010, 11:50 PM
I really couldnt tell from the pics how good the nose fits or looks. But I honestly think Im going to order one tomorrow to see what all the fuse is about.

dirty white boy
12-20-2010, 12:09 AM
http://www.performancebodies.com/online-catalog-categories.aspx?parentCatId=15&subcatid=65&categoryName=Noses%20-%20Classic

http://www.performancebodies.com/online-catalog-categories.aspx?parentCatId=15&subcatid=67&categoryName=Noses/Tails%20-%20Stock%20Appearing

http://www.performancebodies.com/online-catalog-categories.aspx?parentCatId=15&subcatid=62&categoryName=%20Noses%20-%20ABC%20Approved

jason29a
12-20-2010, 03:56 PM
I just bought an XD-4 today. I will post some good pics after I mount it.

dirty white boy
12-20-2010, 08:08 PM
http://www.aerotechstyling.com/nosesflares.html

lazermod3
12-21-2010, 09:25 AM
congrats jason29, i'm headed over to cincy today to get supports you'll love how easy they go together. i get more help from those guys than anywhere else thats why i support them.