PDA

View Full Version : Upper Control Arms

mod33
12-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Which is better to run...The one piece or the swedge tube. I've been running swedge tube but thinking about running the one peice to save time if one gets bent.
thanks

usafracer
12-07-2010, 03:22 AM
I prefer the tube. Its easier to adjust and you can make the tubes your self.

BigBlueFord
12-09-2010, 08:19 AM
I think the swedge tube route is a less expensive route when you have to rebuild. You only need to buy the piece(s) you need not he entire upper.

As far as faster change at the track......just build a swedge tube upper, adjust at the shop, and carry it as a spare in the trailer. That way its preadjusted and ready to go.

DubJr
01-03-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm switching to the one piece. Anytime I touched anything the rear clevis bent along with the leading 5/8 threaded welded stud of the screw in ball joint holder. Yes, easy to adjust but I needed to finish the race. Many times the upper tubes tweaked also. I had to replace the RF 3 times and the ball joint twice. There is nothing preventing the upper ball joint assembly from twisting than the clevis and 5/8 jam nuts. Bring lots of spare clevises (two for every spare upper assembly).
If the 5/8 leading stud was stronger, and the clevis was twice as strong, I would keep running them.

JMO.
Tim

calif54
01-03-2011, 06:55 PM
I also thought they were easy to adjust but noticed that the clevis wears and this causes some unwanted movement. Not sure if the clevis or ball joint holder was getting some wear/clearance, but this isn't any good when you take so much time to properly set, camber and caster. If you run this setup, add this to the weekly maintenance/inspection list.

12 Mod
03-02-2011, 08:24 PM
I ran the clebis/swedge tube style on my old Dirtworks. Every now and then I would break the stud on the ball joint holder or bend a tube, but I never noticed any clevis wear. I got a Shaw last year and ran their adjustable swedge tube style. I thought it was kind of a pain to adjust. Either way, both sides on my car need replaced now. Has anyone had any experience with the southwest speed or GRT uppers that have a welded tube to the ball joint holder and a clevis/swedge tube on the other side? I was trying to decide if this combined the good of both or the bad of both....