PDA

View Full Version : BLP / Bo Laws Carbs

wonkie67
12-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Anybody using BLP carbs on their 415ci / 430ci dirt late models? I'm wondering if anyone has dynoed one head to head against a Braswell carb, or has any feedback about the on track throttle response.

Been using Braswell carbs for many years, but I haven't been pleased with their customer service since Hank left, and i'm tired of talking to the arrogant people who work there.

Thanks -- Mark

hucktyson
12-14-2010, 04:58 PM
call bradley at braswell .... they have the absolute best carbs out there, theres a reason there connected to the pedal of the 0 car

latemodels4life
12-14-2010, 05:22 PM
LOL now thats funny there!!!!!! Just because bloomer has it that means its the best??? I have seen bloomer get beat by K B carbs,Baker carbs????? But brass dose make a great carb though.

hucktyson
12-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Dont buy a braswell then, i mean they are universally recognized as the best carb money can buy for this type of racing, bakers junk is usually down 30 hp over a box stock hp 4150, no one wins every race i dont care whos carb they have

latemodels4life
12-15-2010, 06:15 PM
LOL, 30 hp less,now thats funny there,do you have any video proof of that????? Or if you dont that just goes to show you dont know what your talking about.:confused:

ptodd
12-17-2010, 09:05 PM
the blp with annular boosters are real good. we use stealth on all engines we do and by the way braswell is far from junk if we didnt use stealth braswell would be our second choice and yes since hank left its not the same

TBRE
12-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Most of the carburator "builders", buy their parts in bulk from BLP.TB

50j
12-19-2010, 12:28 AM
And from QFT, direct from Holley, off the shelf or whatever. It's what's done to the parts and the combination used that's different from one builder to another. Just like engine builders; lots of people buy heads from Brodix and cams from xxxx and pistons from yyyy but the motors are completely different.

1Blacksheep
12-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Baker and dAMBEST make their own bodies and some other parts. Nice looking stuff ,don't know how they compare but would like to know ?

TBRE
12-20-2010, 05:49 PM
And from QFT, direct from Holley, off the shelf or whatever. It's what's done to the parts and the combination used that's different from one builder to another. Just like engine builders; lots of people buy heads from Brodix and cams from xxxx and pistons from yyyy but the motors are completely different.

Your right. However, the point I was making is some of these carb "builders", are just assemblers. I don't care to mention names, but a customer brought me an engine that got "fried" in just 6 laps after purchasing a new carb. We repaired the engine, and made a baseline with our dyno carb. Then we made a partial run with his carb, it was in the .28 to .29 brake #'s. Upon inspection of the carb, the mainwell was still 134 to 135 (as cast size), the way BLP ships them out. This engine was in the mid to high 700's on power, and would need at least a 144 or 146 main well.
Bo sends these guys their parts, but he ain't going to tell them how to make them work, especially if they don't know the right questions to ask them.
This same company told me my dyno was off, when I told them their carb was down on power (on another deal).
There are a lot of good carb guys, just be sure they are a reputable company. Dave Braswell has always had good stuff.
We use Bo, at BLP, Zac, at Quick Fuel, and have nothing but praize for both. Just like every other component in an engine, find a good source, and don't look for the trick of the week. Merry Christmas everyone. TB

50j
12-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Good post, agreed 100% about some of them. Then there are others that look similar but are done right. IMO it's good to ask tough questions before buying a motor, carb, or anything.

wonkie67
12-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Your right. However, the point I was making is some of these carb "builders", are just assemblers. I don't care to mention names, but a customer brought me an engine that got "fried" in just 6 laps after purchasing a new carb. We repaired the engine, and made a baseline with our dyno carb. Then we made a partial run with his carb, it was in the .28 to .29 brake #'s. Upon inspection of the carb, the mainwell was still 134 to 135 (as cast size), the way BLP ships them out. This engine was in the mid to high 700's on power, and would need at least a 144 or 146 main well.
Bo sends these guys their parts, but he ain't going to tell them how to make them work, especially if they don't know the right questions to ask them.
This same company told me my dyno was off, when I told them their carb was down on power (on another deal).
There are a lot of good carb guys, just be sure they are a reputable company. Dave Braswell has always had good stuff.
We use Bo, at BLP, Zac, at Quick Fuel, and have nothing but praize for both. Just like every other component in an engine, find a good source, and don't look for the trick of the week. Merry Christmas everyone. TB

Tony -- Have you ever used BLP annular booster carb on a DLM? I'vre been using the 4150 & 4825 Braswell's, and had success with them, just not always happy with their tech support, and the "something else must not be right, it's not the carb" attitude.

Thanks -- Mark

TBRE
12-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Yes. Bo has built me several 830 annular carbs for our high HP open engines, it's the carb of my choice. As far as power, sometimes Bo will be a little conservative if he is not sure your gonna work it out on the dyno, with your engine. In other words, it may be a tad rich.
He builds a special carb for our SPEC engines, that is worth a couple of tenths on the track. Super good throttle response. It's a 750 body w/850 baseplate, and a special Braswell booster.TB